Thread: Dewalt 735 to Grizzly G0453 upgrade - first impressions re: noise

Dewalt 735 to Grizzly G0453 upgrade - first impressions re: noise

I had long been considering an upgrade to my DW735, not because it wasn't performing well, but because it was unbearably loud for my circumstances and I wanted something more robust for the long haul. I long thought about investing in a Byrd head for the DW735, but couldn't bring myself to do it, mostly because even if the cutting noise was reduced, the fan would still be just as loud (easily my loudest tool).

So I finally bit the bullet and got a G0453P. I'm not going to post a lengthy initial impression as I'm still in the process of tweaking the machine and I'm not sure my impressions will be that different than the myriads out there. I also still need to install the Byrd head, which I ordered separately.

Noise-wise, this thing is already so much quieter than the DW. Under no load, the noise level is 85dbA (at 3ft), and while planing with the straight knives, that goes to 93dbA. More of a low-pitched rumble than a screaming shopvac type of sound. In contrast, my DW was 95dbA under no load and 105dbA while planing. These are measured with an iPhone SPL meter, so relative rather than absolute values are relevant.

I imagine the Byrd head will knock another 10dbA off the cutting noise, bringing the operation of this machine noise-wise in line with other tools in my shop. I'm pleased.

As far as operation, the one thing I'll say is that I will miss the silky smooth finish off the DW planer - but I still have to adjust the infeed/outfeed rollers to perfection so they do not leave marks on the workpiece.

Will post back here after install of the shelix head.

I put a Shelix on a Powermatic 15S (basically the same machine) and found it leaves a very good finish. As you say, the noise is much reduced from straight knives. The dust collector is louder than the planer.

My PM15HH with a Byrd measures 80 decibels no load and is not really any louder under load. My G0490 8" jointer with a Byrd is 83 decibels no load and again not louder cutting really. Here a link to a video I made with decibel meter readings. The dust collector at 93-94 decibels is the loudest machine in the shop, virtually tied with the 12" 5HP table saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9qi...ature=youtu.be

Bit of an update:

I had not checked the gearbox oil, mainly because I assumed the unit was new and would have at least some oil, and also because I planned on replacing the cutterhead within a few days anyway. I checked the oil today just before starting the cutterhead replacement process, and the gearbox was bone dry. So I added some gear oil, and was curious if it would change the noise level. Under no load, the planer now registers 75dbA - it simply purrs. Yes, a 10dbA drop just from appropriate lubrication.

Hopefully I have not damaged the planer with the one test board without oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Bit of an update:

I had not checked the gearbox oil, mainly because I assumed the unit was new and would have at least some oil, and also because I planned on replacing the cutterhead within a few days anyway. I checked the oil today just before starting the cutterhead replacement process, and the gearbox was bone dry. So I added some gear oil, and was curious if it would change the noise level. Under no load, the planer now registers 75dbA - it simply purrs. Yes, a 10dbA drop just from appropriate lubrication.

Hopefully I have not damaged the planer with the one test board without oil!
    Any update on the noise level with the Byrd cutter head installed? I am very curious to see how much noise reduction beyond the 75dbA you might get. Frankly, 75dbA level seems pretty impressive with the straight blades.