Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Resawing: How To Set Fence So Blade Cuts Exactly At Middle

Quote Originally Posted by John Poole View Post
    I tried to approximate the one half mark, then by hand turning the bandsaw wheel and pushing the work into the blade I create a light cut, almost a scar or sratch, of where the line is. I then flip the wood piece upside down and do the same thing. If my fence is exactly 1/2 the wide of the board away from the center of the blade, the both scratch marks will be in the same place and the pieces should be of equal thickness in an ideal cut.
    This is all you need to do (t get things started). If the results weren't satisfactory, the something else was wrong, ie: drift, blade tension, fence misalignment, operator error, etc.

As far as the method of drawing two lines from the corners and finding the intersection, this should be as good as your Starret Gauge, except of course, this method is only accurate for parallelograms and perfect rectangles, not all quadrilaterals. Don't you have the same problem with the Starett anyway (pencil line width, etc)?
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 02-14-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    So, is that green bottle some kind of lube?

John
    I prefer my lube a lot darker than that, but I have to say that picture is extremely irresponsible. You should ALWAYS use a coaster on cast iron.

Beautiful jig! Guess who's building a jig like that this weekend.

My pieces came out square, I've got all my tolerances and techniques down. The single problem I faced was setting the blade and the exact middle -- this is a problem I've face before and did the old trial and error way and adjusting, then I thought with all the vocal woodworkers on the Internet, I'd tape their wisdom.
    John L. Poole

I also posted my question on reddit's forum. Folks interested in this topic may want to see the responses on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/...so_blade_cuts/
    John L. Poole

Just another thought, I saw some comments about having "high tension." That suggestion needs to be qualified that it is dependent upon the blade. For example, I'm using Timber Wolf Band Saw Blade 2-3VVARI PC .025" (just put it on for this test). Timber Wolf goes into great detail on how to properly tension their blades, see: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six-...of-sawing.html. It looks like Timber Wolf's blades are low tension. I'm just mentioning this to underscore the importance of knowing what the manufacturer's tension specifications are for their blades; they should know best as they've undoubtedly tested then to the nth degree.
    John L. Poole

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    Do you know the three pin method? Drill three equidistant holes in a piece of wood and push in pins (straight nails). The centre nail should be flush to the jig face. Then angle the wood jig so the two outer pins are tight against the sides of your board and give the centre nail a whack (or you can scratch in a centre line if the nail is just proud). That will mark the mid point of the board.
    Of course: that works. And I don't need to know the midpoint of the long dimension, just having a mark somewhere on the center line of the width dimension is precisely what I am seeking. Make a pin prick, place the face behind the blade and center the prick behind the blade and then bring the fence to the wood. I think this may be the ultimate solution. (I have another I was churning in my mind about the scarring equidistant from the edges and then using that small amount of space between the different lines as the field in which to center the blade line. But the three pin method is much less effort and possibly more precise.)

Thank you.
    Last edited by John Poole; 02-14-2014 at 3:57 PM. Reason: typo
    John L. Poole

Blog Entries
    Someone beat me to it, If the board is not jointed on the side that meets the fence that may be where your issue is forming.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

John,

Many moons ago I cut out some measurement sticks out of hardwood that allow for quick set up for a variety of purposes. 4" in length, 1/2" in width and one each of 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8". I can stack them as needed or use them by themselves.

Someone had the same idea (I'm sure I thought of it first) and began to market them. I've seem them in brass and aluminum. I keep them in the front of my work apron as they get regular use. I mention them because they allow me repetitive cutting without the need to measure or mark. So with that thought firmly in your apparently very active mind....how about just making a marking tool....say a 1/2" thick piece of hardwood that is 1 1/2" in width (or whatever thickness your working with) and an appropriate length and cut a slit beginning at one end that is a centerline rip that straddles your blade...not the teeth. You'll probably have to cut it by hand so its a snug fit. Place your little marking gauge on the back side of the blade and slide your fence up to the side of gauge to effectively position the fence.

...and for the rest of you yahoos...I wax the top of my band saw table so a cold beer is noooo problem

Cheers,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Dumb question #1, did you joint/plane at least the bottom and side that rides the fence?
    I'm not the only one thinking this, if it's a dumb question, there are at least two idiots in the room.

If you rip off the jointed face, the next face must be rejointed - and so on.
    I prefer to keep the same jointed face and squared edge against the fence,
    and advance them toward the blade with each pass.

With a properly adjusted fence, all cuts following the first will be parallel.

After reading the reply about three equidistant points on a diagonal will always determine a point on the center line if the two end points intersect the parallel edges of a rectangle, I envisioned the following tool.

Using 5/16" stainless steel rod and a piece of purple heart, I created a marking device that pinpoints a point on the center line of a rectangular end of a board to be sawn into equal widths. I made my tool so it could accommodate a wide variety of thicknesses by placing holes 1", 2", and 3" from center. Simply tapping out the steel rods with a nail and then pounding them back in makes them snug, yet not permanent. I drilled a 5/16" hole for the rods. The 5/16ths hold in purple heart does not readily accommodate a 5/16th rod, you have to pound it in. I tried using a next-larger drill, but there was too much play. I drilled a 5/64ths hole in the center to accommodate a 1/16" stainless steel rod that has a sharpened point. (Turns out the pin is too loose and has too much play, I'll need to get a thicker rod and possibly widen the hole to accommodate a larger pin.)

Here's the layout, I had to offset from center the rod holes by 5/32" which is the radius of the rod; this makes the end of the rod represent the edge of the wood when firmly seated.

IMG_0463.jpg

After the drilling:
    IMG_0464.jpg
    The tool with rods inserted and a sample piece to be marked:
    IMG_0465.jpg
    Marking the sample. I'll take the pin and tap it into the end of the wood:
    IMG_0466.jpg
    I then take the diagonal off and the pin remains to serve to highlight where the pinpoint mark will be:
    IMG_0467.jpg
    Here's the pin point:
    IMG_0468.jpg
    Here's two pin points; as you can see the slop in the center produces varied results.
    IMG_0469.jpg
    Here's the wood placed against the fence and being aligned to the back edge of the saw. This exercise is to set the fence in the ideal position. (Yes, I'm getting a new fence, this stock one moves when you secure it.):
    IMG_0470.jpg

(The rust on the table is from a roof leak, not spilled beer.)
    John L. Poole

The first thing I would mention is that you have to have a jointed face riding on your fence, and an edge that is jointed at 90 degrees to that riding on your table. You are probably already doing this, but if you aren't no amount of other advice is likely to get you where you want to be. If there is any twist left in the board, for example, you are going to see that in a thickness error after resawing. Also, if you start a cut slightly off the mark as a test, you are going to influence your blade to wander into that "scratch" when you later start the cut in the correct semi-overlapping location. When I do mine I just lock down the fence, hold the board against the blade with the motor off, and note where each side of each type (set) of tooth on the blade would be cutting and adjust until it is equal on each side. You can mark that with a marking knife if you really want total precision for the fence setting.

If your blade is an appropriate style for what you are resawing and is properly tensioned/tracking then I don't think you should be more than 1/16th off when resawing something in half. I rarely get one truly perfect, but if I am within 1/16th thickness for the two resulting parts I feel like I have done as good as necessary for my work (which is nearly always planed after).

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    ...and for the rest of you yahoos...I wax the top of my band saw table so a cold beer is noooo problem
    But putting it on iron is a bad habit to get into.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

One of the problems with milled up wood these days that you buy is they never seem to be the same thicknes between two boards. For example I needed some plywood spacers for setting the height of drawer slides, so cut up twenty 1" wide strips x the length needed. When I stacked them up into two piles, one pile was 1/16" higher that the other and they all came from the same sheet of plywood.

So the first step would be to make sure the boards are actually all the same exact thickness the entire length (i.e. run them through a planer).

The next step I would cut off the last 4-6" of the board and cut up some small 1"x1"x thickness of board from that cut off. This gives you some trial/error test pieces.

Set the fence to what looks like the center of the small block and cut it in half. Set the two blocks beside each other and see which one is thicker.

Then take a Bessey E-Z style clamp (or equal) and clamp it to the fence rail as a stop block for the tee of the fence 1/32" of an inch in the direction the fence needs to move. This will limit the amount you can move the fence to incremental divisions.

Then cut another small block and check again. It shouldn't take more than a few cuts to dial it in to dead center of the blocks.

Then cut away. Make sure the board is fully support by the fence. Also if the boards are more than 6' long, I would add infeed and outfeed support, so that I am not trying to balance it and push it from the end. By using full infeed/outfeed support, you can push the board by standing right at the bandsaw table and use a push pad to hold the board against the fence at the infeed side of the blade. Also, by being right next to the blade you can see if the blade is starting to drift.

If you are just cutting a few boards is one thing but if you are cutting several dozen, I would take the time to get rid of the bandsaw blade drift. It can be done, but it does take patiences and time. It took me a half a day to get my table/fence/blade dead on parallel and I have now have zero blade drift on my 14" and 18" Bandsaws.

Rob