Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench dogs holes, how close to the front edge?

My dogs are 1” wide and 1.5” deep. To simplify the height holding mechanism I used double sided adhesive foam tape to hold the filler piece. The foam is very dense. Never seen anyone do this. It works beautifully, even after years. By having this on the side of the dog it’s holding power is not compromised, it is also very simple to do.

6975D471-C557-440A-9760-A7704CF166F3.jpg

The dog are 2.5” on centre from the bench edge. Boards 5” wide are held in the middle. Three dogs well spaced along the back of the bench next to the tool well for very wide boards.

DA0331BC-F220-48DE-8B39-3B2843CB04C6.jpg

Having the dogs lean into the holding 2 or 3 degrees keeps the pressure holding the board down not pushing it up.

3BEDB29B-5FBF-4EF8-937B-551291578970.jpg

While round dogs are very simple, the reduced contact area for holding is not ideal. Stout oblong dogs are stronger. When you look at all the work that goes into a bench having a great row of dogs is worth barking about!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Mine are about 2" in from the edge...and line up with one in the vise's jaws...
    Box #1, leveling the lid.JPG
    Blue doggies...$10 for a set of 4 from Kreg, sold at Menard's. They fit into a 3/4" round hole. KISS...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have the HNT Gordon tail/wagon vise and they are rather adamant that the line through the center of the fog hokes and screw should be over 3" inland - for better control of wider stock. They assume the use of a sticking board. Derek Cohen's board is a great design and HNT Gordon's argument seems obvious. With that said, it is obvious that close the front edge works and that set further inland works. One's end vise determines how close to the front the holes can be.

Might also depend on how many dog holes the vise has....(2 on mine, BTW)
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use