Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Proof Crate

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm talking an Indiana Jones, priceless artifacts crate.
    You still have the hat from when you opened it, on the island?

Uncrating the Jointer.jpg

I like the idea of the steel cage but what you do with it after you unpacking machine?

Blog Entries
    I think THIS is the kind of crate they should all be shipped in (My Trotec Speedy 300 Laser came in it):
    Crate.jpg
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That's interesting. It is definitely not the original crate. I went to pick mine up. It was on 1 1/2" ply resting on two C-channels within a complete enclosure. I had mine left on the base but moved towards one end to have the weight to shift forward of the rear axle of my truck.

Definitely way below what I would expect from Hammer. I think I'd be inclined to send that photo off to them with a comment. I wonder if it's been "repackaged" somewhere along the line.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I think you're right, Brian. Like I said, the only piece of machinery that ever came like that was my Grizzly bandsaw. Everything else I've ever gotten that should have been in a crate WAS in a real crate. I'm sure Hammer does it right.

They're out of Germany, yes? Let me tell you a story. One day we were aligning a piece of equipment from Germany, and had a rep on site. We wanted to know which surface was the proper surface to align from, assuming that they carefully machined one surface very flat. The rep looked at me, very dead pan, and said, "They're ALL the proper surface." A friend I worked with in the industry had a very similar story. I'm sure that crate was right when it left.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-13-2014 at 8:32 AM.

Doesn't seem that protective. I made a crate for my J/P that looked like the one Dan posted. The shippers tilted the crate 45 degree in front of my eyes when loading it and nothing happened:
    101102_101253.jpg101024_184838.jpg101102_100832.jpg

The upper and lower half of that "crate" look entirely different. I picked up a Hammer sliding table saw in Delaware last year and noticed that their equipment arrived on pallets, not in crates, from Austria. The pallets are top-notch strong. It looks as though someone fabricated the top half of that crate in the USA for shipment. For what they charge for shipping, they should be embarrassed it shipped like that. If damage had occurred, you know the shipper would have refused to pay because of the poor crating job.

I want to be clear, I was happy with the protection offered by the 2x4 cage. This arrived on a heavy duty pallet and very strong 2x4 walls(understand enclosing in plywood would add additional protection) . The machine was tightly secured to the pallet. My surprising reaction is based on my previous experiences with shipping protection which was minimal at best, especially the Grizzly Bandsaw. And was surprised by the lack of protection the K3 was shipped with 2 years ago. So this was a big improvement.

Ha ha....we all thought you were being sarcastic and joking about it It must be a lot sturdier than it looks.

One of my suppliers has taken shipping to a whole other level. They take small items, and put them in plastic ziplock bags (very heavy duty ones) that are then folded over and sealed with several layers of packing tape. These are then put into USPS shipping boxes. Then several of the shipping boxes are put in another shipping box filled with shredded newspaper. I giggle every time I get a package from them, but at the same time it's incredibly annoying. It takes quite a bit of time to actually get to the thing I ordered.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-13-2014 at 9:00 AM.

I've seen better and I've seen worse! I work at a shop where we sell three brands of motorcycles, two European and one American. The Victory bikes are shipped in reusable crates that are robust. The Ducati crates are steel with a steel cage and cardboard. The KTM crates are a softwood with a barely fortified cardboard cover that is stackable. Most all bikes make it unscathed but when stuff goes south it is usually the KTMs that have suffered. I understand that shipping across the sea has implications and packaging adds to unit cost but safe arrival is the goal.

My MM equipment has all come in strand board crates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Carpenter View Post
    I like the idea of the steel cage but what you do with it after you unpacking machine?
    I gave it back to the store that sold it to me. He said he could use it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

One trick I learned/heard of, is when you make a crate, put a good slant to the top.
    That way nothing will get stacked on top of it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    One trick I learned/heard of, is when you make a crate, put a good slant to the top.
    That way nothing will get stacked on top of it.
    Until they flip a similar crate upside down and nest them
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Until they flip a similar crate upside down and nest them
    LOL!! Awesome!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.