Thread: Are these all turning gouges?

Are these all turning gouges?

I picked these up at a yard sale. Far as I know the tool on the right is a scraper, the one in the middle is a skew. I don't know what the one on the left is, or if it is even a turning gouge.

I'm hoping it is a roughing gouge for spindles, I need to turn some simple legs (I did some turning years ago), and am hoping I can regrind this tool. What do you guys think?Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.33.25 PM.jpg

I think you are right on the round nose scraper, but what you think is a skew I believe is also a scraper (turn it over). The last one is indeed a gouge, but not a turning gouge. This one is a chisel for handwork such as carving out a cove. Turning gouges are sharpened on the outside of the flute.

Yea, like Ken said, top one is a round nose scraper. The middle one could be sharpened to be a skew. From the socket on the bottom one, and the size, my first thought was a timber framing chisel.

robo hippy

this gal thinks the back 2 are scrapers, and the front is NOT a spindle gouge
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I agree the top 2 are scrapers and the bottom a carving gouge or timber 'slick'. Next question - are they HSS or Carbon Steel? If the are Carbon Steel they are of limited use. If HSS they should work fine. If the bottom one is HSS it should still not be reground as a turning gouge, the socket does not provide enough strength for the forces of turning, IMHO.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks guys. And gal!

I'll keep the big carving gouge / slick to one side as a curio.