Thread: What do I buy??

Question What do I buy??

Just picked up a Jet 14 saw. Will be ordering the riser kit from Amazon.(anywhere else???) Never even seen a bandsaw used before. I'm strictly an amateur that basically does everything by myself on my 130 year old house & my 28 year old boat. I do know there have been many times I've been cutting something & thinking it would be a lot easier with a bandsaw.The saw I've got is a three speed from 700 to 2400 fpm. I have done metal cutting using air tools, sawsall & the rotary tool fitted with the metal blade. So, the 700 speed will come in handy. Don't know what I would use the 1500 for. The 2400 is a little slow for wood but will work. At this time I don't forsee getting into cutting veneers.

Having said all that typing with my Unifinger typing: what blades do I need? The saw will handle 1/4" to 3/4". From what I've read, get either Lenox or call Suffolk Machinery & get the Timberwolf blades. Buy three & get the fourth for free. Any advice?
    Al

I'm not sure I'm understanding you, but I don't recommend you use your woodworking bandsaw for any metal cutting, although non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass are fine...and they do not require slowing the machine down, just an appropriate blade. Leave your dust collector off when cutting them, however. Highest speed for wood is what you want. Ferrous metals would likely require lubricant and that's not something you want anywhere near wood.

Suffolk is a good choice for your blades. Just tell them what kind of cutting you intend to do and they will set you up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Bandsaw blade selection: I use a 1/2" wide blade most often on my Jet 14" band saw, and have a 1/8" blade for tight corner work (but rarely use it). If you are planning on resawing (a woodworking term for sawing along the narrow edge of a board making it into two thinner planks), then a 3/4" 3 tpi blade is nice, but I do it with my 1/2" blade.

Basically, the thinner the blade the tighter the radius you can cut easily; the thicker the blade the more stable it is for demanding cuts like resawing 6" wide planks.

I use a 1/2" blade for my general work; I don't know if a 3/4" blade is necessary at all for a 14" BS. Again, I have a narrower blade but use it rarely. Congrats on the new tool, I hope it does everything you need it to do.

Tom