Thread: Advice on new Router purchase

Advice on new Router purchase

Hey Folks. I'm looking for advice on a new router. I currently have two Porter Cable 8529's.
    The router will be for hand held use only. I would like to have a soft start router, it needs to have plunge capability, and I would like it to be compatable with the Micro Fence Jig (although this is not an etched in stone requirement).I'm 6'3" tall, and have large hands so the on/off button location is probably a non-issue
    I find the PC 8529 to be somewhat cumbersome. I'm always having to remove the baseplate and switch to an alternative baseplate, based on bit selection and job necessity. The dust collection shroud on the 8529 does not allow the router to have full plunge depth capability. The collet nut makes contact with the dust shroud. The dust shrouud also interferes with the retraction of some bit profiles, and has to be removed to install template bushings.
    I use an alternative baseplate for template routing that is compatable with the Porter Cable template bushings. The original baseplate has an "adapter" that performs this function, but is not truly compatable with the Porter Cable template bushings(poor machining tolerances) and it's made of aluminum which causes problems with aluminum template bushings, and it is kind of a pain to align properly.
    The depth adjusment rod is also made of soft aluminum and is not the most reliable depth stop.
    The plunge lock mechanism is once again soft aluminum, and requires adjustment periodically to remove the wearing of the aluminum on aluminum parts.
    It's hard to complain about these routers though, I got them for a $100 bucks each, and they are good routers. It's just that lately I've been doing alot of router work by hand, and I am getting tired of taking them apart and putting them back together. These routers have been real troopers in a router table, and I'll probably just make a duel router table in the future and leave them permanantly mounted.
    Thanks for the feedback in advance

Mike, I have the DeWalt 621 plunge router, and have been happy with it. One of the features I like is the push button shaft lock that means you only need one wrench to insert/remove a bit. It has a micro adjusting depth stop. The dust collection is at the top and is essentially out of the way when using. I think it is a good buy and would buy it again.
    Best Regards, Ken

I recently got a Festool OF1400. It is a great router. I waited for it to be released for nearly a year. Several times during that year I almost bought a DW621, so that would be my distant second choice.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

My favorite (I have 2) is my DW618s. They have excellent reviews all over the place and meet your criteria.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 06-17-2005 at 6:43 AM.

I like the bosch routers.... have both of the types they sell. work great. One of them I probably have run 10000 feet of material through and it still works great...that is not a typo either

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    I like the bosch routers.... have both of the types they sell. work great. One of them I probably have run 10000 feet of material through and it still works great...that is not a typo either

lou
    Lou,

I think you dropped a 0

With that fancy shop and equipment I would think the number would be considerably higher

The Bosch routers are very smooth and work very well. I also have the Festool 1400 and it seems good also. My table router is a Hitachi
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mike,

I have both the Festool OF-1400 and the Makita RF1101 base/plunge kit and like them both. You're welcome to stop by and try them both before you buy - I'm less than an hour from you. Dave.

Dave. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. Some of the routers mentioned I'm somewhat familiar with.... so If I could ask a few more questions.
    Does the Festool accept "standard" 1/4" and 1/2" bits or do you need to invest in metric sized bits?
    I like the feel of the Bosch's. Originally I passed on them because I thought that they might be to small to fit my hands comfortably, but I did like the feel of the weight in my hand.How smooth is the plunge action on the Bosch routers?
    Ken. Do you find the base of the Dewalt 621 not being round to be limiting? I know that Bill Hylton likes the Dewalts for ther smoothness of the plunge action. I was just wondering about that base shape. The Porter Cable's that I have are "D" shaped bases, and sometimes they can be limiting due to distance to the center of the bit being unequal.
    I had the chance to buy a Dewalt 618, with plunge base on the cheap once, kinda regret not getting it anyway, even though I thought I had no practical reason for getting another router at the time dumb..dumb..dumb.

Mike, I think there are 4 collets available for the OF1400. 1/4" and 1/2", plus two metric. Mine came with 8mm and 1/2". The 1/4" was additional cost.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    Mike, I think there are 4 collets available for the OF1400. 1/4" and 1/2", plus two metric. Mine came with 8mm and 1/2". The 1/4" was additional cost.

Jay

Correct, there are 4 collets available for the Festool OF 1400 1/4", 3/8", 8 mm and 1/2".

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    Dave. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.

Mike,

Any time........ give me a day or 2's notice and we'll be all set. Dave.

1 Ryobi, one PC 75XX one hitachi. my fav is the PC though. it's the older model to the 8529's but it is awesome. been looking at the DW though.

Keith

Not sure you can beat the DeWalt 621 for the money. I don't have a Bosch plunge, but I do have the 1587 fixed base, and I've used it awfully hard. I might look at another Bosch if I ever need to replace the DW621. What does the Festool go for?

KC