Thread: dw 735 planer fan replacement

dw 735 planer fan replacement

I'm having trouble replacing my broken chip ejector fan. I've got a new fan and I removed the old one but the old metal sprocket is still on the armature and I can't get it off. The new fan has a metal sprocket glued into the middle, so I need to get the old one off before putting the new fan on. I've tried PB bolt blaster, heating it up, tapping it, and pulling with vicegrips. Nothing will make that sprocket budge and I am starting to worry that it is supposed to stay on the armature.

I have changed that fan impeller a few times and , in fact , I have a spare impeller. I looked at it and it looks like it should just slide off of the motor shaft. Is there a nut on the end of the shaft holding impeller in place? I do not remember.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thanks for responding! I removed the nut in order to remove the old (broken) plastic fan. However, the metal sprocket stayed on the armature. I expected the new fan to just be the outer plastic part but instead it came with a metal sprocket glued into the middle. I'm afraid that if I try to remove the metal from inside the new fan, I will damage it. So it seems that the metal sprocket from the old fan is supposed to slide off of the armature, but it won't budge.

You may have to remove the motor and use a gear puller to get that stubborn thing off.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by tal galton View Post
    Thanks for responding! I removed the nut in order to remove the old (broken) plastic fan. However, the metal sprocket stayed on the armature. I expected the new fan to just be the outer plastic part but instead it came with a metal sprocket glued into the middle. I'm afraid that if I try to remove the metal from inside the new fan, I will damage it. So it seems that the metal sprocket from the old fan is supposed to slide off of the armature, but it won't budge.

Yes, definitely the core is meant to come off with the fan (I've replaced mine and also had it off when I had to replace the housing).

Steve

What others in this post have said. The metal sprocket needs to come off as it's part of the fan blade assembly. Sounds like a gear puller is needed. Hopefully the teeth are not stripped and the new blade goes on with no hitches. I've replaced mine and was fortunate that the whole assembly came off in one piece. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Borrowed a gear puller and finally got it off! Thanks for the advice, folks. That thing was tight and rusted! The new one slid right on easily as if it was slightly larger.