Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the free reverse phone lookup?

What happened to the free reverse phone lookup?

I got three calls on my cell phone & went to look them up on a reverse lookup.

I don't do this very often and I didn't bookmark the website I used.

I can't for the life of me find the free site.

Everything says free, but, they all want $39.95 or so to sign up for a service.

Isn't there a free service that gives the address for a phone number anymore?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Rich, I've used Whitepages a couple of times. I usually get a name and an address if it's a landline. If it's a mobile number or unlisted, then they try to charge you.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use switchboard.com

George

It won't find all the details of a reverse phone lookup, but often times punching the phone number into Google will tell you enough to know whether it's something to ignore or look into, or whether it's a shady telemarketer or what.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Ok - I think I figured out what's what.

All three numbers I have must be either unlisted or cell numbers.

I punched our listed landline into all three and they gave me the correct info.

years ago you used to be able to search social security numbers for free,
    but now that does not happen now

cellphone numbers are difficult to look up...
    who actually keeps a land line these days?
    Carpe Lignum

I use ReversePhoneLookUp.com. I used it the other day and it is still free.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    More people than you think still have a land line. My parents both have cell phones, but they have a land line. I work with a Boy Scout troop and a good number of the families still have land lines even though I'm pretty certain 100% of them have one or more cell phones in the house. One of my co-workers held on to his land line unless his last kid got a cell phone and then they ditched the land line. I still have a land line because my cell phone is work supplied and I need to limit personal calls during the week. I couldn't buy my own cell phone for the $4 I pay for my land line. (I have OOMA VOIP.)

Blog Entries
    I usually punch unknown numbers into google first and see if there are comments regarding spam calls. For others I use White pages.

I usually don't give out my cell phone number to internet places or businesses. It is reserved for family and friends.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

cellphone numbers are difficult to look up...
    How do you look up any of them?

Remember the AOL free CD of the week?
    It was quite successful; 2 million subscribers still use AOL dial-up internet access.

Give me a land line any day, simple, reliable, quality every time.
    I can't recall how many top of the line cell phones I've owned since the late 90's and I disliked or hated most of them. The one I like the best I tossed in Verizon's recycle bin when I upgraded to a newer gee whiz communicator. I think it was a Motorola; I know it was a tri-mode; something that became obsolete.

I think it was a Motorola; I know it was a tri-mode; something that became obsolete.
    I had one of those.
    Mine would get blistering hot after using it a couple of min.
    It finally died one day and I took it to Verizon to have it replaced under the extended warranty I'd been paying for like 5 years.
    The guy says, "Sure, I can replace it with a free phone. All you need to do is sign this two year contract".

We argued back and forth over it and finally he tells me it has to be an accident that caused the damage to have it covered - - so - - my phone accidently got thrown down hard on the floor.
    That didn't work - but - it made me feel better

All sites are subject to charges. Few are free. I use 411, whitepage reverse or whocall for my state Kentucky.
    Do you know other free sites?

You may be wasting your time bothering to look them up...a large percentage of the calls that come in at this point from unknown numbers are not even coming from the listed numbers. The caller ID is spoofed (faked) and the calls are coming from an automatic dialer that just generates a random number, often in the same area code and exchange where you live or in the same your wireless phone number block as your mobile phone to make it look like it's local. If it's important, the caller will leave a voice mail. I don't answer any of these calls at this point...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may be wasting your time bothering to look them up...a large percentage of the calls that come in at this point from unknown numbers are not even coming from the listed numbers. The caller ID is spoofed (faked) and the calls are coming from an automatic dialer that just generates a random number, often in the same area code and exchange where you live or in the same your wireless phone number block as your mobile phone to make it look like it's local. If it's important, the caller will leave a voice mail. I don't answer any of these calls at this point...
    Yes. Don't waste your time. But if you insist on doing it anyway, just putting the number in the search box on Google should tell you all you need to know. We check very few of them any more but in the last year there might have been one that wasn't junk. Maybe.
    ...who actually keeps a land line these days?
    Some of us need it because that's where we get our miserable 5 mbs DSL internet access. We don't have cable. Seriously re-thinking that, though.

Aside from actual "need", such as alarm systems and elderly relatives like my mother who just cannot mentally change from calling a long-time number to a new one because of their memory, poor cell service at a home location making for a risky E911 situation, etc., many folks have them because it's more expensive to turn them off than to keep them because of the way services are bundled with providers these days. I'll spend the money for an IP interface for the alarm system someday (cell doesn't work for it here because of a dead spot) after my mother passes away.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...