Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to the free reverse phone lookup?

This one is the best free one I have found, even picks up some, not all, cell phones.
    https://www.usphonebook.com/monitor-children
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

The bigger question that I think of with all these telemarketer masked calls is how many numbers in the US are now rendered useless because they are on a blocked list for so many users? We are in business and the amount of telemarketing calls we get daily is unreal. Its to the extent we dont even bother to answer calls unless someone leaves a voicemail. The telemarketers will mask calls as local numbers (people who have recently moved away and shut off their phone) they will mask calls from the area codes and past exchanges you have lived (I for instance will get telemarketing calls from the area code and exchange I was born)... it goes on and on.

The default for most I speak to is that the instant they recieve one of these calls that number is blocked. Which means it rendered useless to the next person its issued to. So if that number is issued to a potential future customer of mine? I will never receive their call because they are blocked.

This practice is likely rendering millions of numbers annually useless.

If the current administration wants to do something worthwhile for the business economy the FTC or the FEDs could drop the hammer on this stuff in a fart. Wont happen.

I dropped my land line about 12 years ago, but was too lazy to actually disconnect the phone/answering machine from the wall plug, so it sat there for years. About 5 years later, I was sitting at home when the phone rang. I let it ring, and someone left a voice mail for a family that was not mine. I called the phone company to ask what was going on, and after checking into it they determined that someone had cross-connected my residence with someone else's number by mistake. They remedied that immediately.

Interestingly enough, when I commented that I didn't know why I still had a phone hooked up when I haven't had service in years, the phone company lady told me that they are required by law to provide emergency 911 service to all residences, regardless of whether or not they have service. So, even if you don't pay for a land line, you can plug in a phone and dial 911. I was told this around 2011 or so.

Yes, they do have to provide 911, no matter who calls. But we don't even have a place to plug phones in anymore. The previous owners of the house removed everything, there's no outlets for phones at all. We don't mind, we haven't had landlines for at least a decade now.

What happened to the Free.....

If you want to block advertising on your browser you will soon find that a major number of services will disappear or start charging for their services.
    Wait For It....................

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    What happened to the Free.....

If you want to block advertising on your browser you will soon find that a major number of services will disappear or start charging for their services.
    Wait For It....................
    Fine with me. Then people can choose which businesses they want to support and which ones they do not. Businesses will have to actively cater to customers instead of spying on them. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    . I couldn't buy my own cell phone for the $4 I pay for my land line. (I have OOMA VOIP.)
    In 2004, about 90% households had a landline; today under 50%, and the % is going lower.

My landline rate has been reduced to $5 since I called to cut it. But 90% of calls received (2 to 3 calls a day) are spams or junk or surveys. As soon as my monitoring service is no longer used, the landline will be a history in my household.

Simon

I upgraded phones when the old one did a belly flop off a scaffold. The new one has a better version of google caller ID. I'll get a name attached to 90% of numbers, even cell #'s. The ones that don't work are always cloned #'s, so just don't answer them.