Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need air compressor recommendation

I second what Mike said about the Puma. I have a stationary that is above your minimum needs and have been quite happy with it. As for a brand that is high quality don't forget the "Quincy" air compressor line. They are every bit as good as IR. Also the Gardner Denver consumer line is Champion compressors. Northern Tool carries a large selection of compressors at good prices.

The 30 gal puma is the exact machine as the 30 gal ir garage mate. Different casters. Both made overseas. Amazing med compressor.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    The 30 gal puma is the exact machine as the 30 gal ir garage mate. Different casters. Both made overseas. Amazing med compressor.
    I had looked at the Puma and the IR in the 30 gallon size and was put off on the Puma due to several reviews of very poor customer service, though most of the other reviews were good. Also, both IR and Puma come with only a 1 yr warranty, and several others have a 2 or 3 yr warranty which appeals to me. Any concerns about Puma's customer service or only a 1 yr warranty?

I have no issues with mine. I bought it in 2007. It doesn't get heavy usage but it has always served my needs. Never had any need for customer service so can't add or detract based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jim gossage View Post
    Tom, how quiet is it?
    Jim It is quieter then the 1986 20 gal Craftsman that it replaced. Tom

I have a Devillbis 4 hp, 30 gal tank that is 8.8 cfm at 40 psi. It is about 16 years old and runs great. I use it a fair bit and would rec it, but in reading about the company, I see that it was sold, then sold again to B & D and now produces everything in China.

I suggest checking Craig's List for something used. I have seen many compressors there for decent prices.

Look up the makita mac5200 and the rolair vt25big they both provide the specs you listed and will only run you $350-500 depending on where/how you buy. Don't fall victim to the "you have to have x size tank" to spray finish argument. If your compressor cfm exceeds your gun cfm requirements, then you will be able to spray finish with it, the cfm requirement of the compressor is what matters, not the tank size. Plenty of people will tell you that you need a huge compressor to spray finish, because that was true back when they learned to spray finish, before lower cfm guns came out. A large tank can help an inadequate compressor work for shorter duration sprays, but that is it.

I was stuck in a situation like you and had to get a small-sized compressor to spray lvlp with. I went with the makita Mac5200, and use it to spray with a LVLP gun requiring 6cfm and the compressor has never failed to keep up with my spraying. I have done an 8'x3' table top with it and it and that is the largest continuous spray I would ever need to do.

I would stay away from the GMC, lots of bad reviews out there. For what it is worth my mac5200 is far quieter than my porter cable pancake was, even though the pancake was rated at lower db. I am careful about noise and I will spray with my compressor running 10' away without feeling like I am doing anything bad for my ears. It feels about like you have your dust collector running.

The only truly quiet, quality compressors out there (rolair has a 2 cfm one I think) can't put out the cfm you need, so you are better off just buying the right compressor and mitigating noise by other means.
    Last edited by Andy Pratt; 02-09-2014 at 1:29 AM.

The Mac5200 is one really nice compressor - if quiet is the main requirement.
    I went with the Ingersoll Rand 2 HP "twin hot dog" instead because the Makita is (or was - I don't know if it still is) only rated for a 50% duty cycle and the IR is rated for 100%.

I use my IR onsite to run a roofing nailer, framing nailers, finish nailers and a flooring nailer.
    I haven't tried it for HVLP or LVLP - yet.

For a home shop, the 50% duty cycle of the Makita is probably fine.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I would stay away from most of those brands. Dewalt stuff has always been good for me, and they have a decent compressor in that range

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55168#specs
    That's what I have in my shop too...replaced my 60gal monster. Oilless but quite reasonable for noise, not like most oilless. I run die grinders on it....spray....drill. It meets all of my basic needs.

I've had several air compressors in my career as a contractor. Had a couple Campbell Hausfeld, the older was fair, the later threw oil everywhere. Had a Sanborn, it was not good for spraying. The most expensive was a Mak-air, by Makita, it was and is awesome, only use it when I do framing, which is getting less and less frequent, and in my home shop have a Puma, which is the best less expensive compressor I've had. No oil or air leaks. The dealer that sells the Puma is great, had a reset switch that went bad, and they just mailed me a new one. They are North central Air, and you can call to order what you need and they deliver it. They also have industrial air compressors.

C6C16F46-879F-4682-969D-0C74B7D32B99.jpg
    got mine for $250 factory refurbished.

Looked at a few Quincey brand compressors yesterday at the local farm supply store. US made motors AND pumps. I was impressed, the Dewalt models beside them had neither. For the record, I have a little Dewalt Emglo in my woodshop that has never let me down.

QUINCY ! ! !
    Quite . . . the quietest
    Dependable . . . the most
    American Made . . . I lean toward American Made
    Free Shipping
    Not much more $$$ than the others . . .

Support the "CREEK" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I have liked my dewalt planer. Seems that I have heard rumors on this forum of either Dewalt or Delta not providing good parts support. Anyone know which it is?

Quincy compressors are made in Quincy Illinois.