Thread: Torched and Scorched

Torched and Scorched

The bowl is Hickory. I turned it with natural edge and then blow torched the rim and outer grain area. Applied thin super glue on the rim to stabilize the burnt area. Behlen's medium walnut was applied by brush to tight grain area. I then applied Behlen's colonial yellow to the center area. Some light steel wool buffing and then I mixed up some black line chalk (cheap black filler for super glue, epoxy, and colored wax) with Johnson's paste wax. This was rubbed into the pores of the Hickory. The colors were blended together each time the brush was about to be dipped into the can for new stain.
    The plate is Cherry. The rim again burnt and stabilized. No added color, just some spayed lacquer over the scorched surface. I believe when the Cherry darkens the contrast will be more subtle. Comments,critiques and suggestions always appreciated.

IMG_5800.jpgIMG_5802.jpgIMG_5804.jpgIMG_5812.jpgIMG_5815.jpgIMG_5818.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Nice work Bob. You know, you see folks torching pieces form time to time and I have always like the effect. These are no exception. Very vice warm coloring. I also like the idea of the limb crotch bowl and wonder how much more dramatic it would look with more curvature to the sides. Probably not "full bowl" but a tad more than a platter. Either way, nice job on both.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The wood was only a coupl inches thick. I think the center was used for something else. Reminded me of a sling shot so I turned it as is?

I like this piece a lot, Bob. The colors and the torching give it a very warm feeling. Great figure in the crotch area.

Wow nice colors! The effect is awesome, I'm totally stealing the idea of black chalk for coloring! Good photos too, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    The wood was only a coupl inches thick. I think the center was used for something else. Reminded me of a sling shot so I turned it as is?
    Line chalk comes in many colors, red, yellow, blue black, and white. I also mix it with super glue and epoxy to use as fillers.

Love them both, great effect on the scorching and the color is fantastic.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Really nice pieces. Excellent finishing job.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Great job on these. They are vey unique.