Thread: Pretty tenons

Pretty tenons

Without a doubt, some of the prettiest tenons I've ever cut. The shoulders and cheeks were cut with a router while the board was laying flat. Since 4 of the pieces are 5 feet long and 2 are 7 feet, I had to stand them on end (or nearly so) to cut the notches. I used a shop made template. And a face shield when I did the notches since the cut was at eye level for me. Chips flying everywhere despite using a Festool router and vac. Without the shroud even Festool can't get all the chips. The wood is cherry.

good tenons.jpg

Pretty indeed.

John

Nicely done! I love working with Cherry.

Those are really nice-looking, John. Reminds me of the cover of the last Lee Valley catalog with all the cool joinery on it.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Very pretty. Sometimes you have to step back and admire the simple things.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

John P, what did you use to cut the notches in the tenons? What's the project?

Really nice work.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    John P, what did you use to cut the notches in the tenons? What's the project?

Really nice work.
    I made a jig that's nothing more than 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF joined at a right angle. I used that to make the tenon by placing it at the end of the board where the shoulder would be and then used a Freud mortising router bit guided by that jig (template) to make the cut. Flipped the board over and repeat.

For the notch I stood the boards on end in my bench vise and used that same template, into which I had made a slot in it's center, clamped to the board located where I needed the notch and used that same router bit to cut it. That was at eye level. It worked great. I used a face shield to keep the chips it was making out of my face.

The project is a bed.