Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the Heck?? Fein Turbo II Hose w/ Dust Deputy

1. I just finished building the Wood Smith plans (2012, SN10936) for the roll around cart for a Fein Turbo II shop vac/Dust Deputy combination and I too struggled with the hoses. After a lot of thrashing about, I purchased the Craftsman shop vac hose kit (916928). It is adequate although not perfect.
    final shop vac cart.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    I bought the Turbo III a couple years ago and the hose slips right on my dust deputy. According to Fein the II comes with a 1 1/4" hose while the III comes with a 2 1/4".
    The fein 2 1/4 hose fits the turbo II as well. I have a turbo II. And bought a 2 1/4 hose in addition to the skinny one. Both latch into the vac.

John

My vacuum unit is a re-purposed whole house central vacuum and I used the pipe and fittings for central vacuum systems. To adapt the pipe to the Dust Deputy, I purchased two rubber hub less couplings from the plumbing department of Lowes. They fit a little tight on the Dust Deputy and about perfect on the central vacuum pipe. They come with two automotive type radiator hose clamps, so you can tighten them around the ends of the coupling for an even tighter seal. No tape, no leaks, and readily available at a reasonable price through any plumbing supplier.

My shop is small, so the vacuum and Dust Deputy are installed in the attic of my sho with inlet ports at several locations in the shop, attic, and one in the outside shop wall next to the entrance door. I use my central vacuum/Dust Deputy combo system for all of my lower producing saw dust makers, like my scroll saws, belt sander, hand held sanders, drill presses, etc. I also vacuum my shop floor and have a vacuum inlet port in the outside wall of my shop so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it too. The Dust Deputy is attached to a 20 gallon steel grease barrel with a shop built lid made from tow pieces of 3/4 Birch cabinet ply. The top layer is 2" larger in diameter than the barrel, and the lower layer just fits into the top of the barrel. They are joined and sealed together with Alex II caulking and screws. Then a 1" wide strip of closed cell foam Weatherstrip applied to the underside of the larger piece of cabinet birch where it seals against the barrel top edge.

I don't try to collect chips from my Unisaw, jointer, or DeWalt 735 planer with it. I use the planer in the parking area outside of my shop, attached to an open top 55 gallon plastic barrel via the hose and barrel cover option that was available as an accessory for the 735. It has worked great, except for the two times in 8+ years that the draw string around the barrel top wasn't tight enough. The Unisaw cabinet gets it's saw dust shoveled out, and the jointer has a chute that drops the chips into a small plastic waste can. My DeWalt 736 planer is attached to a Miter Saw/Planer Stand so I can store the two attached together and standing up like a hand truck in the corner of my shop, and easily wheeled out into the parking area and lifted with the help of gas springs into it's bench height working position. I then attach the hose/barrel cover to the planer and my chip barrel and begin using the planer. This has made moving, setting up, and using the very heavy DeWalt 735 planer very easy for me. Returning it to it's place in the shop has been just as easy.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 08-27-2018 at 10:37 AM.