Thread: LaserMaster -X+ -Y+ question

LaserMaster -X+ -Y+ question

Hi there,
    new to the forum and fairly new to laser engraving & cutting.
    I own a lasermaster L20, really enjoying this machine and the cutting/engraving it can do, however I have one issue I have not been able to resolve regarding the X & Y axis movement.
    When engraving images the machine sweeps back and forth producing the image as it should, however it sweeps backs and forth on it's X-axis, it would be much easier on the machine to sweep back and forth on it's Y-axis (in any engraving demos I have watched I have also noticed the machines always working from the Y-axis).
    If anyone knows how I can change this so the machine sweeps on the Y-axis, any ideas or help are hugely appreciated!
    Thank you for reading.

On local settings, is there a Portrait / Landscape setting... Sounds like it is in a Portrait mode. ?

I'm not familiar with the software for this machine, but if it's a printer driver, you may need to speciify as you print from Corel or whatever application you are using. I would check all settings in your print driver.

T
    GCC Puma III Vinyl Cutter
    CorelDraw X6
    Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Illustrator CS6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

Thank you,
    I do use Corel, whether my document is portrait or landscape has not affected the movement of the machine which leads me to think it is a setting in the laser program, where even my little 'view' image is portrait and I have not found anywhere to adjust this (can't find local settings - only local coordinates?)

Hi Emmy,
    The document page orientation in Corel won't make much difference. It was more the printer driver for the laser or if you have some intermediary software that allows you to place cutfiles on the laser.??

As I recall on the Trotec (I'm not by it so can't check this right now), but from Corel it prints to the Trotec through a driver. trotec have an intermediary software package called JobControl which allows me to take that file and place it where I want to cut it on the laser bed. It's a sort of visual picture of the laser bed and allows you to replicate lots of the same file for example.

In JobControl, looking at the laser bed settings there are several options. One allows the engraving to start from bottom to top rather than top to bottom, and there is also one which is Portrait or Landscape which if I recall correctly (someone will correct this if I'm wrong) tells the laser head to cut in X (landscape) or Y (portrait)

unfortunately I'm not familiar with your software or machine... Could you tell me a little bit more about what happens when you send a file to the laser... Does it start cutting as soon as you send from Corel? Or does it pass the file to another bit of software that allows you more options with regard to how it is placed etc
    T
    Last edited by Tony saunders; 01-31-2014 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Speeling
    GCC Puma III Vinyl Cutter
    CorelDraw X6
    Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Illustrator CS6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy Stoeter View Post
    I own a lasermaster L20, really enjoying this machine and the cutting/engraving it can do, however I have one issue I have not been able to resolve regarding the X & Y axis movement.
    When engraving images the machine sweeps back and forth producing the image as it should, however it sweeps backs and forth on it's X-axis, it would be much easier on the machine to sweep back and forth on it's Y-axis (in any engraving demos I have watched I have also noticed the machines always working from the Y-axis).
    It's possible you have your terminology backwards, but the carriage sweeping back and forth along the X-axis (left to right) is the most efficient. Are you saying your carriage moves up and down with each line of engraving?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yes.. The carriage is sweeping up and down with every line, not left to right.

On my machine the stamp on the table says X is up and down (length of the table) Y is left to right (across the table) any help is greatly appreciated.

"length of table" and "across the table" to me anyway, is the same thing, so "up and down" should be "height of table"...

I suppose X and Y depends on your gantry, which is the "bar" that the laser head runs back and forth along. I've never seen a machine with a vertical gantry as you look into the machine, but maybe yours does? If so, then X would run up and down and Y side to side...

My Triumph is suppose to be able to "Y-Sweep" as they call it, rastering up and down along the Y axis, but I haven't tried it yet. But as Dan points out, Y axis rastering is inefficient, because instead of moving just the laser head back and forth, you'll be moving the entire gantry back and forth, which is a lot of reciprocating weight to compensate for-- If you machine is actually doing this, then there should definitely be a way to change the raster direction.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes, that's exactly what i'm trying to find out how to do because my gantry is moving back and forth. The program I have is CMC4 and i directly import a image from corel to CMC4. The computer does have TCP WIN for vectoring (only reads DFX files) If i want to do any raster work i have to upload it directly to CMC4 and cannot find the option to change the axis direction of travel. On my Lasermaster L20 your Y axis is my X, But this shouldn't matter im only trying to find out how to reverse them. thank you

Is it possible on the mother board the two axis plugs need to be revered?????? I would assume the image would be skewed unless the table is square.. 12 x 12, 18x18

http://wn.com/l20_demomov demo shows a good movement
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 01-31-2014 at 6:26 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Hey there,
    so I actually got this one figured out, for any lasermaster users out there, this machine has commands for working off the X or Y axis, I simply had to input the command L255.1 and the carriage now moves in the correct direction of travel and the whole gantry no longer moves up and down. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!
    I found this out from eurekatech.ca (hans) who was very helpful.

Y axis engraving is an option on Trotec machines and is not the same as bottom up engraving where the engraving begins at the bottom of the drawing (front of machine).

I can imagine Y axis engraving being useful on certain images done on wood but I have not found need to use it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7