Thread: Stanley H1214A hand drill

Stanley H1214A hand drill

I've never owned or used a hand drill but thought it would be handy to have at my disposal. I'm mostly concerned with Pre-drilling for screws and similar smaller size holes.

I saw one that looked very clean. It didn't look cleaned up, it looked to me like it had just sat unused for a long time. I put in a bid at the last minute and got it for $6.99, so if it's junk, it's inexpensive junk

Is anyone familiar with the Stanley H1214A or the similar H1214? I know it's nothing like the excellent open wheel MF and similar drills but maybe it's still a decent little drill? I tried to do some quick research before I bought it but Google didn't turn up anything except a few other eBay listings.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 01-29-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Removed eBay Link
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

You can often find user quality MF drills for pretty reasonable. This one on eBay is only $6.34 right now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Mill...item338a23e915
    And you can get Wictor to clean it up if you like:

Thanks Sean. I'd be afraid to use your drill. It's too attractive. I really don't collect tools but I love the design of this drill. Did you restore yours or did it look that good when you acquired it?

I'm going to keep an eye on that listing. My prediction is $35 + the $12 shipping but who knows. If stays low enough, maybe I'll get lucky.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Just a reminder guys, direct links to ebay is against the TOS. Assuming mods will remove the active links, Daniel is mentioning item number 171225202066; Sean mentions item number 221360941333.

The 2-01 Sean links is one of the later MF drills - Oldtoolheaven mentions the introduction date being 1968. I have that model of that drill - I don't remember how old mine was; I got it NOS a couple years back, it was boxed in a plain brown box, it was military surplus that was being sold off on eBay. It's nice, but it's just got a lot more slop than even some of the well worn old ones I've held since, and the chuck was a lot less precise than the older ones I've since held, certainly more play/wobble/runout than I'd like in drill chuck. The casting for the main, red gear was lot rougher than I would have liked too. Looked like it had been sand cast from a poorly done mold or something. Not terrible, but not nearly as nice looking as older examples, even those missing there paint.

Not a deal breaker since I'm not using a handheld egg-beater in high-precision applications, but given how plentiful these things are, if I were doing it again, I'd pick up an older, less pretty example of an older drill than a newer one. That said, for all I know, mine might have been 15 years newer than the one Sean links to and therefore an entirely different class of product, just sharing my experience; these certainly weren't things that were readily noticeable in photos.

Honestly, for predrilling for the smaller screws in most of my projects, (mostly #6 and smaller, but also #8s on occasion) I really like a push drill more than my eggbeater unless I'm drilling to a large depth. For things where the depth is more than my pushdrill is convenient for, I find using a small brace is faster if I have a drill bit that fits it well. I have some combination bits, akin to the Fullers, that drill the counterbore, countersink, and pilot hole all in one that chuck up well in my 6" brace, and that tends to be the easiest, most accurate and fastest non-powered hole drilling method for me, I really like it a lot. Hex shank bits work well, too. I have a couple of square-shank twist bits as well. I really like using the 6" brace over the eggbeater drill - I just find the ergonomics of holding the thing lead to much more accurate holes for me.

This is all just personal opinion, just throwing it out there.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    My vote also goes with an older Millers Falls.

I think there is one of the Stanley H1214A hand drills in one of my junk boxes around here.

One of my Millers Falls No. 2s is missing the side handle. The one that has it doesn't really need it.

For pre-drilling screws the hex bits with the drill, shaft bore and countersink all in one are nice.

The Millers Falls main handle gets loose. It is easy to knock out the pin that holds it to unscrew it. Then wrap a shaving around the threads and tighten it up. You might want to mark the handle to help realign the pin hole with the out side.

They come in handy so you may want more than one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Daniel
    Since no one is actually addressing your (implied) question, I thought I'd chime in.

What you have is a lower-end Stanley product (the "H" prefix signifies a "Handyman") aimed at homeowners (as opposed to professionals).
    If it is in good repair, then when you turn the handle, it will spin a bit.

There are cooler, vintage drills with nicer actions and exotic wood handles, but in the end they all do the same thing.
    After years of tool hoarding I have more than a few Millers Falls and Goodell Pratt hand drills. But sometimes I reach for the first tool I ever bought new decades ago -- an H1220 Handyman eggbeater.

Daniel, I wasn't necessarily endorsing that particular listing, but more just saying; If you like the MF's, you can sometimes find one that is not too expensive, especially if you are okay with cosmetic defects and non-collectible models (2A's, for example, are going to be a bit more).

This drill was restored by Wictur Kuc.

I understand it was an example. It happens to be really good example, so I'll try to get it if the price stays reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Daniel, I wasn't necessarily endorsing that particular listing, but more just saying; If you like the MF's, you can sometimes find one that is not too expensive, especially if you are okay with cosmetic defects and non-collectible models (2A's, for example, are going to be a bit more).

This drill was restored by Wictur Kuc.
    -- Dan Rode

Turns out the seller was local, so I was able to pick up the hand drill at lunch. It looks like it just came off the hardware store shelf. I'm pretty sure it's never been used. At first blush, I'm really happy with it. It may have been a homeowner style tool it it's day, but it's made well by today's standards. It's higher quality that I expected. I can't wait to get home and make some holes
    -- Dan Rode

Blog Entries
    Found mine in my "box of accumulation." Not sure if it is the H1214A. It has a Stanley Handyman sticker. The only other mark to be found is S10.

Here it is with another Stanley "100th Anniversary" edition No. 1611 and two Millers Falls No. 2s:

Egg Beater Drills.jpg

Both Stanley's work fine. The smaller one doesn't have storage in the handle. It also has a smaller chuck. Though trying to drill with much more than a 1/4" bit is a chore with any egg beater short of a breast drill with low speed gearing.

My preference is for the Millers Falls since they seem to fit my big hands a bit better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I picked up the H1214A a few months ago for $10. I've a MF 2A also. The Handyman is nice for small jobs because it's small and light. That makes it nimble and quick.

The MF is nice for larger holes as it's a larger, longer, heavier drill. I like them both.

I reckon you'll enjoy using your new Handyman as well.

My two pennies.

I realize this is an old thread but was wondering if anyone knows what the chuck mount thread size is for the H1214A ?