Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Paint by numbers" inlay work

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burke
    Can the same thing be accomplished in CorelPHOTOPAINT?
    I'll assume you're talking about George's "step 2"...

Most programs call it "posterize". Closest thing I could find in PhotoPaint was under Image|Color Mode|Paletted..., select "Optimized" palette, set "Dithering" to "none", and start dialing down the "Colors" spinner. Once you get close you can edit the resulting palette and/or use the Image|Adjust|Replace Colors dialog to adjust or further reduce the number of colors.

One other thing that can drive you crazy is if you resize a bitmap and save it with "Anti-aliasing" checked (same true for exporting bitmaps from CorelDraw). It leaves "fringes" of intermediate colors at color boundaries. Example: that picture George posted looks like it only has 8 or so colors, but it actually has more than 20, most of which never appear as more than a couple isolated pixels at a time. Not fatal, but it makes the CorelTrace settings rather twitchy: if you end up with way more objects in the trace than you expected, that's probably what happened.

Lee,
    I was referring to step 2. So much to learn. sigh......

Inlay Work

Hi Chuck;
    I have PhotoPaint but don't use it as I "grew up" as a Photoshop user and really have no inclination to learn another program. I'm sure Photopaint has a great number of plug-ins like Photoshop and something which produces a similar output is available. In PS there are a large number of adjustments to levels, edge accuracy, etc that can change the output quite a bit.(see improved pic below).
    The problem with trying to make a portrait inlay (other than a shadow/silhouette) is that its very difficult to find veneers that come close to matching the "final" colors- and trying to find a group of compatible veneer alternatives is pretty tough. I have about 30 or 40 different wood veneers and about a doizen dyed color veneer and it's still tough to get a picture look right. I don't recommend this process as a "make money" use of the laser as it takes a bit of time and patience and not too many people would spend $500 for a wood portrait as that what I figure one would be worth.
    George
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel
    The problem with trying to make a portrait inlay (other than a shadow/silhouette) is that its very difficult to find veneers that come close to matching the "final" colors- and trying to find a group of compatible veneer alternatives is pretty tough. I have about 30 or 40 different wood veneers and about a dozen dyed color veneer and it's still tough to get a picture look right.
    It's a little spooky sometimes how much detail you can strip away and still have a recognizable image...but it takes just the right image to start with, and you usually won't know it it really worked until it's done.

I've been using the adhesive-backed veneers from Rockler, mostly to make the assembly process a bit more tractable. (A side benefit of this stuff when cutting a stack of it with a scroll saw is that the adhesive pushed into the saw kerf by the blade helps hold the stack together as you cut.) There are about 8 useful species in that series, and I find myself occasionally staining individual pieces after cutting to get features that don't justify an entire separate color.
    I don't recommend this process as a "make money" use of the laser as it takes a bit of time and patience and not too many people would spend $500 for a wood portrait as that what I figure one would be worth.
    Roger that, at least for custom portraits. Doing this on a one-off basis makes the laser redundant, because it speeds up the least time-consuming part of the process. I still think it has a place for "production" marquetry, assuming you can leverage multiple copies against the image manipulation...it's a lot like silk-screening in that respect.

Of course, the whole perspective changes if there's a really good reason to do one: the very first one I did was a portrait of my parents for their 50th anniversary.