Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In case you weren't aware- McFeelys

In case you weren't aware- McFeelys

Apparently, McFeelys is under new ownership. I tried to call yesterday to check on a small order I placed 12/30/13. Stayed on hold for a good 20 minutes only to be sent to voicemail. No return call, sent email - no reply. I got through today and was told, nicely, that it was under new ownship since Jan 1. No record of my order, will have to check credit card to be sure it wasn't charged. Today's guy was nice and sorry for the mix-up. What burns me is that the old McF took my order just to basically throw it in the trash.

You operate your company until the new owner takes possession. The first order of business, in many acquisitions, is changing IT infrastructure. Seems silly, mayhem may ensue, but it happens. I doubt anything sinister happened, just a bad transition.

I think I heard somewhere that McFeelys was purchased by McMaster Carr or Grainger or one of those other huge hardware supply houses.

So I wonder who bought them this time.

Grainger was the previous owner, right? I think they bought McFeely's a few years ago from the original owner. So now someone else bought it from Grainger?

It must be a fluke in the transition, mostly related to two different systems being integrated or the previous one migrated to the one used by the owner. Still yet, they would not dump it without verifying if all data is current. If no charges appear on your card, they simply did not process it before they turned the lights off.
    Last edited by Ruhi Arslan; 01-29-2014 at 5:12 PM.

If Grainger sold them I hope the new owner goes back to selling good quality hardware and not all the other stuff Grainger added at higher prices and slower service than anyone else. But if their new web site is any indication, they won't last long.

They may have bought it from a previous owner but it wasn't from the original owner. Bill McFeely started the business in the 1970s in Lynchburg, Va. He sold hardwood lumber and did a little custom woodwork on the side. I bought some beautiful 16/4x 16" mahogany from him in the mid '70s.
    Rollie

Well I don't know how "sinister" this was , but I got the impression there were "hundreds" per my phone call.

You would think that a new owner other than Grainger could only be an improvement but who knows?

We thought Delta being bought from Stanley Black & Decker could only be an improvement and that seems to have only gone further downhill.

Grainger is a publicly traded company and, as such, wouldn't they need to report a material change in operations to the SEC? I didn't look closely but I didn't see any filings to indicate an ownership change at McFeely's.

Two years ago they were trying to sell them: http://www.gazettextra.com/news/2012...esture-brands/

We use Grainger at work, but man are they expensive.
    Dennis

13. Placed an order two weeks ago. Order never shipped. Stayed on hold for 30 minutes to speak to someone about the order. After the long wait on hold, I told them to just cancel the order. That was two weeks ago. They charged my credit card as soon as the order was placed. I have been calling every few days to have them credit my card. They said the manager is busy and will work on it soon. What kind of response is that!!!!! I have ordered from them for over 10 years. I done with them.

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/1159...s-Three-Brands

check this link out there is some info there of what is happening. I don't buy much from Grainger or Mcfeely's as there tend to be fairly expesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Williams View Post
    Placed an order two weeks ago. Order never shipped. Stayed on hold for 30 minutes to speak to someone about the order. After the long wait on hold, I told them to just cancel the order. That was two weeks ago. They charged my credit card as soon as the order was placed. I have been calling every few days to have them credit my card. They said the manager is busy and will work on it soon. What kind of response is that!!!!! I have ordered from them for over 10 years. I done with them.
    It's time to contact your credit card company and file a complaint. Your card should not be charged until the order has shipped. Many companies apply a pending charge to your account to validate the card number. Either way I'd let the card company know that McFeely's is not following good business practices so that they can contact McFeely's and help you resolve this issue.