Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 Review - A Twisted Engineer's Perspective

Congrats on the new Speedy 300 Dan!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

The dimensions of the Speedy 300 it says are: 1090 x 890 x 590.
    Now a standard door size width in the UK is about 762mm but the width of the Speedy 300 is 890mm. Does the fan(?) part that sticks out of the back of the machine come off to make it smaller to get through a door or am I going to have to be making a wider door way for it?!
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Blog Entries
    You flip it on its side to get it through doorways, Mark. Or in my case, you make use of your previous demo work from installing a CNC machine where you rip off the entire door casing/framework and use a jigsaw to cut a wide hole along one side

That fan part is actually the laser cartridge and you generally don't want to remove it... doing so means you'll have to realign the beam, and that's not a fast process.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Aaah good thinking. I currently have a builder in now putting up a stud wall and was about to ask him to make the doorway 900mm just so I could get it in

I presume that 2/3 blokes should be able to lift the machine between us then (quickly just doing a few more press ups), your reference of needing an engine hoist has me slightly worried
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Mark, a 300 should be able to be lifted with 3 people. I managed to to it when we have a loaner 300. Now the 400, that's a different ball game. We have 6 guys, and one of the them looked like he was going to have a heart attack and S&*% himself at the same time. It's a heavy beast.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Jit, I hope you took the "overseeing" role when the 400 got delivered then, ha!
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

I didn't pay all that for a machine to carry it! Not a chance! That's like me paying my staff and doing their job!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Well my Speedy 300 has been delivered today, it's an absolute beast. Just before I call in the back up to help me with moving it I wondered if I'd missed anything "easy" that can be removed to save weight. I have taken off the glass lid and also the metal front and unscrewed the machine from the base, is there any other weight saving I can do that isn't going to compromise or invalidate anything? I can't spot anything myself but thought it worth asking just on the off chance!
    My back is already aching at the thought of the lift to come
    Last edited by Mark Ward; 03-14-2014 at 3:16 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Blog Entries
    Mark,

Could you run down to a rental shop and grab a hand truck? Then you are only trying to lift it straight up long enough for the truck tines to get under it.
    hopefully you aren't talking about going up stairs? If so, use straps to help keep your backs upright?
    handtruck.jpg
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Dave

They have to lift and rotate it 90 degrees to an upright position to mount it on the trolley. 3 men are the proper tool.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I played it safe and got 3 mates round, it wasn't too bad with 4 of us, all nicely through the door and back on the trolley again now.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Hi Dan,
    Perhaps I am blind - but I can't find an updated version of your report. Have you done one or are work pressures still on the boil? Looking forward to reading it when finished. I had an interesting couple of hours with Trotec today, very tempting but the ££££ signs flashing before my eyes like an '80s retro sign will keep me awake for the next two nights
    Kind regards,
    John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    John,

I have not posted an updated version yet, awaiting some free time. Actually, I handed in my resignation earlier this morning, so I will have a couple of weeks of "free time" before I start my new position. Of course, taxes are due smack dab in the middle of that, so we'll see where life leads me. I could post a more recent revision, but I don't think the amount of changes in it are worth getting people excited about it yet.

I'm also deciding if I want to include my initial list of software bugs/annoyances in this one, but I will likely hold off on those for part II.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'm also deciding if I want to include my initial list of software bugs/annoyances in this one, but I will likely hold off on those for part II.
    HI Dan,
    thanks for your reply. Well... I do hope your resignation went well - these sort of things can sometimes go a bit south . I also hope the new position does you well.
    Your comment re: software will be very interesting. That is just the sort of nitty gritty report we are all waiting for.

If you have a tax ‘problem' you ought to have bought the Speedy 500 not the 300

Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Dan make sure you're running 10.2. It fixed a lot of minor bugs in 10.1.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.