Thread: Piercing Technique in Woodturnings

Piercing Technique in Woodturnings

Could someone kindly put me in the direction of a good tutorial or scource as to how too do piercings on wood turnings ? I am a novice woodturner,but i would like to try this form of art on wood. Also i would like to know as to how to embellish your turnings,airbrushing etc, all hell and advise is welcome.

Yours Kindly Paul

turn it thin.....get some type of cutter, dremel on high speed, the first piece plan on it being practice

hf has some airbrush gun for about $10, you need a small compressor, hf freight has them also, you could practice on cardboard

one of the hardest things is what to do, abstract or an item, your choice......its like turning .....jump in.....looking forward to seeing some in the future....enjoy

Thanks a lot, So just go for it then, the old adage,practice makes the next one better than the last one,or you hope so. Thanks Kindly

You tube is your friend... just search 'wood piercing' and about 5 videos pop up.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, DO NOT TRY A DENTAL TURBINE, HAND PIECE, & CARBIDE BURR as you will never be happy with anything less. It is so much easier, faster, does not follow the grain or damage fragile parts.

Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, DO NOT TRY A DENTAL TURBINE, HAND PIECE, & CARBIDE BURR as you will never be happy with anything less. It is so much easier, faster, does not follow the grain or damage fragile parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
    Could someone kindly put me in the direction of a good tutorial or scource as to how too do piercings on wood turnings ? I am a novice woodturner,but i would like to try this form of art on wood. Also i would like to know as to how to embellish your turnings,airbrushing etc, all hell and advise is welcome.

Yours Kindly Paul
    I don't know about your area, but there are usually demos on piercing at regional symposiums around here, as well as clubs with members who pierce. Those would be good resources.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

google up Brian McEvoy
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

If you do a bit of a search for bits to use, look into dental bits. They are carbide or diamond and small, which is what you are looking for. They have a 3/32" shaft instead of 1/8" like the dremel bits. They are generally cheaper as well. I just both a package of 5 carbide straight bits for $10.70 (canadian). In the US dremel bits may be cheaper, but up here they are pricy.

I am just getting into it as well, and finding turning "thin" is much thinner than I was expecting. I guess it will depend on the wood.

Loads of fun so far though.

Lloyd

Thin?? Piercing? Did someone call my name??

As a maker of pierced stuff....I will chime in a bit.

There has to be a distinction to what kind of piercing you want to do. If you want dime sized holes or "squiggles" that are 1/8" thick... a dremel might be the best (and cheapest) choice. That has the added benefit of becoming a texturing tool as well. Dremel = 35,000 RPM = $35 Because of the speed a Dremel can (and will) run with the grain or a hard spot in the wood.

If you want to do the delicate stuff, forget the Dremel and splurge on a dental tool or a high speed piercing tool. I use a NSK Presto piercing tool and LOVE it. Takes a 1/16" shank bit and I use carbide tapered fissure bits. The diamond bits are useless for this tool as they clog up super fast and burn the wood immediately. You can pierce walls up to 3/16 with several passes, but under 1/8" works the best. I generally shoot for 1/16 or 3/32. The added benefit of the NSK Presto or similar tool is the size and weight. The tool itself it about the size of a highlighter and it just connected by an air hose. NSK Presto = 350,000 RPM = $400-450 with regulator. The extreme high speed of these tools will NOT run with the grain or hard spots. Very controllable use.
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 01-29-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks Kindly for your help

Thanks for your help,