Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch Out for Those Speed Cameras

Blog Entries

Watch Out for Those Speed Cameras

It seems they write tickets by error:

The Baltimore Sun obtained data from a secret audit conducted by the city that revealed that Doty's is likely one of thousands issued erroneous speeding tickets by the city's cameras. The audit, which was conducted by consultant group URS Corp, concluded that the error rate was more than 10 percent for the city's speed cameras, costing residents $2.8 million in tickets. One camera URS audited turned out more errors than correct citations.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/24/53...urs-corp-xerox

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In Cleveland they were ruled unconstitutional

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    They pulled them out of Albuquerque a couple of years ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    They ought to make the city give those people their fines back!! That would cramp the city of Cleveland's spending. They raised over a million dollars from those cameras; reeks of taxation without representation to me.

George

They just went on line

which is more important to you , catching the drivers running a red light or the change that the camera made a mistake

If it just for the ones running the red light the picture cannot be disputed. In the case of a citation for speed the cameras do make numerous mistakes on speed and under the Cleveland ordinance you do not appear in municipal court you just have to pay the fine and if you want to dispute the ticket you need to get a lawyer and lodge an official complaint and create a court case. In other words you are not presumed innocent until proven guilty you are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence. Quite different.

In the city of Toronto 77 red-light cameras wrote up $11M in fines.
    What scares me the most is to rear end someone at one of these intersections,all I know is if I ever get a ticket I'll fight it.close to 30%
    of all tickets were reduced to less than the set fine of $325 after being challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    If it just for the ones running the red light the picture cannot be disputed. In the case of a citation for speed the cameras do make numerous mistakes on speed and under the Cleveland ordinance you do not appear in municipal court you just have to pay the fine and if you want to dispute the ticket you need to get a lawyer and lodge an official complaint and create a court case. In other words you are not presumed innocent until proven guilty you are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence. Quite different.
    They said that someone stopped then turned right on red which was legal but got a ticket for a red light violation.

I believe there is a study showing an increase of accidents after the cameras are installed at intersections.

This blog cites 5 studies. believe at your own risk

http://blog.motorists.org/red-light-...that-prove-it/
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 01-31-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling, add link
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I wish DOT worked that way,,,, last ticket was 587$...
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    which is more important to you , catching the drivers running a red light or the change that the camera made a mistake
    Justice is more important. If they were speeding then fine them if they weren't give the money back for what is negligence on the part of the law enforcer and pay the penalty - just like everyone else is demanded to.

Running red lights is funny to me here. Nearly 50% of the population runs red lights here. I always tell new comers to not try and turn at an intersection if the light turns yellow and especially if it turns red because they're guaranteed to get hit by the car coming the other way at break neck speed. I play a trick also for new comers here by telling them I know when the lights going to turn green for us without looking at the lights. All I have to do is look at the cars coming from the other way. If they're barreling through the intersection and or the car is really healed over from the high speed turn the light will turn green in a couple seconds (they have a delay of 3 seconds here). If they're going through at regular speed it's not going to turn green any time soon. I'm about 90% right. If you've driven in 3rd world countries you know what I mean...

They've done a few audits here regarding radar cameras and 10% failure rate would be considered excellent. It was found many cameras have never been calibrated or if they have it's been years and the governments are unapologetic and have no intention of investing the effort to correct the problem. In fact they also have done their own audit and are now poised to move many cameras that are not producing enough cash.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 01-31-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Justice is more important. If they were speeding then fine them if they weren't give the money back for what is negligence on the part of the law enforcer and pay the penalty - just like everyone else is demanded to.

Running red lights is funny to me here. Nearly 50% of the population runs red lights here. I always tell new comers to not try and turn at an intersection if the light turns yellow and especially if it turns red because they're guaranteed to get hit by the car coming the other way at break neck speed. I play a trick also for new comers here by telling them I know when the lights going to turn green for us without looking at the lights. All I have to do is look at the cars coming from the other way. If they're barreling through the intersection and or the car is really healed over from the high speed turn the light will turn green in a couple seconds (they have a delay of 3 seconds here). If they're going through at regular speed it's not going to turn green any time soon. I'm about 90% right. If you've driven in 3rd world countries you know what I mean...

They've done a few audits here regarding radar cameras and 10% failure rate would be considered excellent. It was found many cameras have never been calibrated or if they have it's been years and the governments are unapologetic and have no intention of investing the effort to correct the problem. In fact they also have done their own audit and are now poised to move many cameras that are not producing enough cash.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, what date are you leaving?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I'd rather see a thousand drivers run a red light than see one innocent person persecuted by the .gov wrongly.

I'm going over my SS paperwork right now as I turn 62 in a couple of weeks and become eligible to file.
    According to the figures, I can collect $1300.00 a month.

Some of these fines I'm seeing - $325,,$587...
    That's horrendous!
    Not to tread too far afoul of the TOS here - but - I believe the Founding Fathers would consider that excessive and "cruel and unusual".
    I mean really, to fine a man wrongly, 1/4 to nearly 1/2 their monthly income is just plain wrong!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'd rather see a thousand drivers run a red light than see one innocent person persecuted by the .gov wrongly.

I'm going over my SS paperwork right now as I turn 62 in a couple of weeks and become eligible to file.
    According to the figures, I can collect $1300.00 a month.

Some of these fines I'm seeing - $325,,$587...
    That's horrendous!
    Not to tread too far afoul of the TOS here - but - I believe the Founding Fathers would consider that excessive and "cruel and unusual".
    I mean really, to fine a man wrongly, 1/4 to nearly 1/2 their monthly income is just plain wrong!
    one intersection that I see quite often involve a left turn and if I am driving the other way, I will had to wait for the drivers making a left turn on my green light