Thread: Engraving Acrylic

Engraving Acrylic

I've started messing around with engraving acrylic and I'm getting a film on the surface that I assume is from engraving process. The piece was engraved with the backing of the acrylic removed. I tried washing it with warm soapy water (ie how they say to clean acrylic) didn't help much, then I tried some windex still not much help. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but not very efficient to say the least. So... how do I clean up the piece?

I've got good air flow from the fan as well as the air assist. I've also got the laser rastering from the bottom to top so the exhaust / airflow doesn't go across what's already been rastered. I thought about leaving the backing on, but the thought of trying to peel off a bunch of little pieces doesn't seem very efficient either. Are there any tips / tricks that can help here?

Thanks!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

I read a tip about getting all those tiny pieces off, they said to use duck tape. You might try leaving the backing on then duck tape the pieces off. Might be worth a try.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Walt,
    First - use as little power as possible as it will leave the least amount of residue. For me, the goal isn't to get a deep mark it's to get the shallowest mark possible that doesn't compromise the image.
    Second - don't leave on the mask, it will cause major problems with rastering. Leave it on for vectoring though, it will make cleanup easier.
    Third - don't use air assist when rastering, only vectoring.
    Fourth (and last) - use acrylic cleaner - I use Novus #1 for light residue removal and polishing and Novus #2 for heavier cleanup. Both are available at any plastics supplier like Tap Plastics.

Gary

I use dna on all cast acrylic.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Second - don't leave on the mask, it will cause major problems with rastering. Leave it on for vectoring though, it will make cleanup easier.
    For engraving, replace the mask with vinyl transfer tape... very easy to remove, and takes care of any concerns about residue.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks guys!

First - use as little power as possible as it will leave the least amount of residue. For me, the goal isn't to get a deep mark it's to get the shallowest mark possible that doesn't compromise the image.
    What I was trying to do was raise the letters so I did a good bit of power to remove a lot of material, so I don't think I can reduce it more than where it was at.

Third - don't use air assist when rastering, only vectoring.
    So what do you do when the piece has both rastering and vectoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I use dna on all cast acrylic.
    dna?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

DNA De natured Alcohol

Raised letters... would really like to see what you are working on... any pics? 12 years of lasing acrylic and never thought of reverse engraving! wood yes!

Last edited by Mark Sipes; 01-26-2014 at 6:47 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

DNA Denatured alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    What I was trying to do was raise the letters so I did a good bit of power to remove a lot of material, so I don't think I can reduce it more than where it was at.
    That is completely different Walt. I would use lots of power in this case otherwise it will take forever.

So what do you do when the piece has both rastering and vectoring?
    I tape, or leave on the mask, vector, remove the tape/mask, then raster. If the vectoring is complex or detailed then I'll remove the tape/mask and just laser away.

Gary

I was just messing around with my company logo and decided to make coasters. I did raised and then engraved letters as well as other variations. The raised letters looked the best to me, although the picture stinks.

DSC01222-001.jpg
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

I tape, or leave on the mask, vector, remove the tape/mask, then raster. If the vectoring is complex or detailed then I'll remove the tape/mask and just laser away.
    Blah... that's kind of what I thought, and this is why I typically don't do this kind of thing! Sounds like too much work, lol.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI