Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frigid temps and turning wood

Frigid temps and turning wood

Anyone besides me finding that all this cold weather is putting a damper on turning the last week or so? I have wanted to get into my shop for turning, but because of the frigid temps, snow and ice, I find that things like shoveling snow and cold conditions inside my shop has me just waiting for a thaw.

The mid-atlantic and northeast has gotten weather like the northern tier of the country usually gets......burrrr! I guess I don't tolerate the cold as good as I use to ...........
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-23-2014 at 9:09 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I feel your pain. It only got up to 63F here today. We have been clustered around the fireplace, waiting for relief from this cold snap.
    Regards,
    Dick

Minnesota, -20F I fire up the Knipco (space heater as you see on the sideline at a NFL game) to warm the shop then use the space heater... which can't keep up so I get 2 hours tops. I still have to wear insulated coveralls and lined boots.

Roger, while my shop is toasty warm, the cold weather and snow have left me exhausted, and I don't have energy to turn... It was -4 here this morning. I have never seen it that low. This winter, we've hit -2 twice. Never saw it in the negatives before. And now it has happened 3 times. I'm going to move to a warmer state...maybe Michigan or Wisconsin!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Roger, while my shop is toasty warm, the cold weather and snow have left me exhausted, and I don't have energy to turn... It was -4 here this morning. I have never seen it that low. This winter, we've hit -2 twice. Never saw it in the negatives before. And now it has happened 3 times. I'm going to move to a warmer state...maybe Michigan or Wisconsin!
    Don't for any warmth in Wisconsin, Mike. Going down to minus 7 tonight. I have a space heater in my shop/garage, but it fails to get it warm enough any time the temp drops lower than plus 10.

larry

I start with the propane for about 10-15 minutes then the electric heater takes over to keep at 58-60. However does take a little longer when the outside temp has a minus sign in front of it.

36 below yesterday morning with windchills from hell. It does put a damper on the machinery..IT WON"T RUN! I'd be fine in a flannel shirt , longjohns, mukluks, and a hat with ear flaps! :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

It got down to -1 yesterday morning at my house.........it was +1 when I let the dog out this morning. I have oodles of work to do today through the weekend, so turning will have to be put on hold till next week.....if I can get it in then!

I have a kerosene heater........which I don't like to use unless I have to because it emits moisture into the shop air and will in time cause rust on tablesaw top and bandsaw tables, lathe ways, etc. even though I keep them waxed.......still it will take its toll and require a fresh cleaning and application. I keep an eye on it!

I also have an overhead electric unit that helps [radiant] but it is not enough by itself when it gets below 40 degrees.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yup, a balmy 1* here this morning, too, Roger. I think I'll wear shorts and a tee today!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Feel your pain Rodger , finally dug out the kerosene heater and turned it on yesterday . It didn't really help as much as I needed it to. The shop is going to be a disaster zone for a while longer I guess.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

We must be the exception. Other than a couple cold snaps, I think this may be one of the warmest winters I can remember. Low 50s today. Back in the seventies and eighties, it seemed like we had several snowstorms which left my VW bug completely buried. Had to remember where I parked it. Haven't seen precipitation like that in many years. I was relieved to see forecasted highs in the twenties and thirties next week - but for that, it would seem like a waste of money to fly to Kauai for our 31st anniversary.

All that said, the average temperature in the shop at the beginning of the day is usually between the high teens and low thirties and it does slow me down, more so as I get older. I can certainly appreciate the snow bird mentality and may someday join their ranks. I've never picked up where you live, Michelle, and maybe you want it that way, but I certainly sympathize with -36. I don't think I'd move from the fire in temperatures like that.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Frozen wood turns fine. Frozen woodturner, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Anyone besides me finding that all this cold weather is putting a damper on turning the last week or so? I have wanted to get into my shop for turning, but because of the frigid temps, snow and ice, I find that things like shoveling snow and cold conditions inside my shop has me just waiting for a thaw.

The mid-atlantic and northeast has gotten weather like the northern tier of the country usually gets......burrrr! I guess I don't tolerate the cold as good as I use to ...........

I used to live on the west coast of Canada and even there it was too cold on bare hands in winter when turning, gripping cold steel sucked the heat out of the fingers real quick… Never found a pair of gloves that gave good feed back to the fingers… If you're the sort that holds the tools with the finger tips (hand under the tool) it's a bit harder than if you're the type that holds the tools with the hand over (where the fingers are less utilised) then it's not as crucial if the gloves reduce the feedback.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I have heated my pole barn (motorcycle and wood-shop) for years. I keep the thermostat at the lowest setting and turn it up to 65 deg. when I'm working in there. I decided it was cheaper to keep it heated than dealing with the condensation of just heating it up when I'm out there. However, it has been so cold that I have been working on stuff already in there. The logs that I have stacked on end (3') out side, are so frozen to the ground that I can't break them free to cut up.

Whiners!

It was almost -40 yesterday morning here without the wind chill. You know it is cold when you have to force the dog to go outside. I use a pellet stove to keep my shop warm. Way less work than cutting wood.

When it is really cold I can't even get the back of the shop to 63 degrees.

Quinn