Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I need a tool but.....

So I need a tool but.....

I do not know what it is called or if it even exists. I need to be able to relieve air on my nail gun for quick switch. My current method is I have a ball valve right before gun and so I shut it off and then drive a nail out to release the pressure which seems dumb because I then have to look for a piece to drive a nail into. TIA. I googled my a** off and found zero.

Jamie,

A week or so ago, I started a thread titled 'air tool expert needed'. Your question is answered there. I believe you are looking for a 'blowoff coupler.

Rick Potter

What's wrong with just doing like everyone else does and just disconnect the hose? There is no reason to do it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What's wrong with just doing like everyone else does and just disconnect the hose? There is no reason to do it any other way.
    Just what I was thinking.

Removing my tools under 90 psi seems wrong really and a lot of times it does not come off. Maybe it is the coupler that is the problem but at the same time it seems a bit dangerous and also it is startling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    Just what I was thinking.

+1 for me as well

I always disconnect my nail gun (pin, brad or the big framing gun) under pressure, without my finger on the trigger. There is a very small amount of air lost, basically what's in the gun, because the quick-release thigny on the hose shuts of the air right away.

Never had a problem with the air tool being hard to remove.

I agree with everyone else. A pressure relief valve for changing nail guns sounds like a solution without a problem.

The reason you can't find such a tool is because it's totally unnecessary. Air Tools are disconnected millions of times around the world every day by just popping off the connector off under pressure. If you want safety, just keep your finger off the trigger and point the gun in a safe direction. If your connector is not coming off, then there is a problem with your connector (on hose or on the tool) and it needs to be replaced.

I'm not Art, but I think he meant "... sounds like a solution to a problem which didn't exist."

The FOSTER AUTOMATIC one I mentioned in another thread as being especially durable seems to lose some air before it disengages. That makes it less violent, instead of having round bearings it has rods mounted on an angle with sloped ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Schmitz View Post
    I do not know what it is called or if it even exists. I need to be able to relieve air on my nail gun for quick switch. My current method is I have a ball valve right before gun and so I shut it off and then drive a nail out to release the pressure which seems dumb because I then have to look for a piece to drive a nail into. TIA. I googled my a** off and found zero.

Rick is right, what you want is an exhaust coupler. They are just like a normal coupler except when you rotate the collar they bleed all down stream air, once that air is bled you can then slide the collar back and disengage the coupler as if it were not connected to the compressor. You then re-couple, and rotate the collar to charge the tool again.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...FckWMgodbGcALA

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    The reason you can't find such a tool is because it's totally unnecessary. Air Tools are disconnected millions of times around the world every day by just popping off the connector off under pressure. If you want safety, just keep your finger off the trigger and point the gun in a safe direction. If your connector is not coming off, then there is a problem with your connector (on hose or on the tool) and it needs to be replaced.

I'm not Art, but I think he meant "... sounds like a solution to a problem which didn't exist."
    This isnt really true, exhaust couplers have been in use for perahps 20 years. They are commonly required and used in industrial applications for added safety. Where they can be very essential is in a situation where your dragging coupled hoses around a shop floor. If a conventional coupler catches on something enough to slide the collar back the nipple end will fly around like a whip.

The option I posted is only a bit more than a good quality conventional coupler but the kicker with them was, like with the Parker brand, many of them were in the 20-50 dollar range just for a body. Far to pricey for the average Joe. But now there are many more cost effective brands.

Another issue with them is if you havent used a universal push to connect body before, that is one which accepts all nipples, many of them can be extremely hard to couple under pressure because of the large rubber seal that makes them work with all the different nipples. The exhaust style makes coupling effortless. I never thought I would feel like I was getting weaker in my mid-late 40's but there are times when I find couplers harder to put together than I ever remember.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-23-2014 at 1:30 PM.

I have to agree with the others.

I've disconnected various air tools that way thousands of times, I've never given it a second thought. Pull the down release coupler, phfffffft goes the air and I jam it onto another tool. I don't find the sound startling because it's not a particularly loud or sharp sound and I'm expecting that sound. Heck, I'd be a bit alarmed if it didn't make that noise.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I'm in the just because they make a tool for it doesn't make it necessary camp.
    Dennis

Many years ago I had the power tool responsibility for a automotive assembly plant. A lot of the larger power tools required ½ inch hose and ½ inch quick couplers for adequate air flow. Some people found it difficult to operate the disconnect under pressure, women especially. It became a standard to use relieving disconnects on ½ inch. Anything larger than ½ inch used threaded hose fittings and a automatic max flow shutoff device at the beginning of the hose. Prior to the installation of the max flow shutoff devices, I did see the aftermath of a ¾ hose breaking at the pipe thread to the tool with about a pound of steel fitting whipping around at the end of the hose.