Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MINWAX STAIN SUCKS!! - There's - it's been said!

MINWAX STAIN SUCKS!! - There's - it's been said!

Fellow woodworkers,

Minwax brand pigment stains are NOT THAT GOOD!! I've used them, you've used them, we've all had the same problems - poor coverage, inconsistent coverage, not dark enough, slow drying, etc., etc., etc.

Here's what to do.

The next time you want to stain something, go search out a professional finisher's supply house near your home. Search out the senior person there and have a talk with him/her. Find out what products they offer and why they would recommend them over other products. Tell them any problems you might have had with stains before, and tell them you don't want the same problems any more.

Yes, I have several cans of Minwax in the shop. And, every now and again, I pull a few out and use them, especially for smaller projects where I need to mix just a small quantity that need to match an existing color. I've learned to sand projects accordingly when using Minwax (sand rough, with the grain), and I can get OK results with it. (But I still hate it)

There are other products out there that will give your hard-made project a look of professionalism that Minwax just can't produce. It will be amazing to you the first time you use a professional grade stain or dye and see your project come to life instead of being dull and muddy looking.

So, I feel better now.

Todd

You mean I might actually stain a project? I can't remember the last time I made something stained!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I agree Todd, they aren't very good. I've used them with success, and some real outside the box creativity, but you had to want to use them to get good results.
    I can't stand any of the Poly products they have and won't use them anymore. Too much work! for an average looking result.
    Lately I've been using the General Finishes and Bartley products, and so far so good. I'd like to start learning to lacquer (properly) and mix my own shellac.
    I think the attraction with MinWax is the widespread availability of their product, and some good marketing. I've never found a true "One Step" finish. They all take multiple steps, even paint.

My local unfinished wood furniture store uses General Finishes and stains exclusively. I went in their and watched how they do it.

NO MORE Minwax FOR ME!

From now on, I use a wood naturally colored the way I want it... No stains...
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

I use General Finishes almost exclusively

I've used Watco and really like it. (I really liked the "new/improved" one they came out with 10 years ago but had to take off the market 5 years ago because of spontaneous combustion).

If wax is in order, I use Briwax, another product I really like.

Actually, I was at a woodworking show some years ago and meet a couple of the big names in woodworking and that is what they used. They both said to apply both with 00 or 000 steel wool.

And if I have to fill nail holes, I use Famowood. Use it because I like it.

I know that are much better ways of finishing wood but the above is fast, flexible and works for me especially for the type of work I do. And besides, all three (stain, wax and filler) come in multiple colors and I've had good luck mixing them, i.e., one stain color with another stain color.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

The last time I used a Miniwax "stain" is about 1996. I do use their so-called Antique Oil Finish on some turnings, but otherwise, I pretty much don't buy that brand, even though it's available just about anywhere on the planet these days. I guess it's the concept of "polyoneverthing" that turned me off to them...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim Becker what do you use?

Blog Entries
    this is funny... ive used the stain for years without a hitch. i will say one thing though, the chemicals have recently changed and maybe that was your problem...rebel

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane
    Jim Becker what do you use?
    When I want to alter the color of something, I use water soluable dyes from Homestead Finishing. (Jeff Jewitt)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Darn... Now I'll have to look into something else, Minwax is/was the only stain I've used that I haven't had problems with. Shows how much I know...

Todd,

I'm sure you know that Minwax is owned by SW. You can get any of the Minwax stain colors in ML Campbell stain base (also owned by SW) and get a much better product, fast drying time, etc.

Of course, my ML Campbell distributor doesn't keep HD or Lowe's hours and I have a couple of minwax cans in my shop as well.

brent

S&W; for the uninformed is that Smith and Wesson the gun maker?

Sorry,

Sherwin Williams.

ML Campbell is my finish system of choice.