Thread: In a quandry about dust collection - fixed system or mobile?

In a quandry about dust collection - fixed system or mobile?

I will be constructing a new shop (22x24) this Spring to be attached to my garage. My shop is now in the basement and have an Oneida dust collection system (1.5 hp) with fixed ducting along one wall with flexible duct to connect to my various machines (TS, Shaper, Woodmaster molder, J/P, sanders, lathe, etc). All of my machines are currently on casters and I anticipate keeping them mobile in the new shop (with the possible exception of the tablesaw). I have been happy with this dust collector.

I am going back and forth whether to use my existing dust collection and set up the same fixed duct system or go with a mobile dust collector (such as the Onieda portable dust collector http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXP990301H&CatId={AC1122DA-3A28-4606-9B70-189ACD0BC2E4}) and wheel the dust collector around to each machine as I need it. On one hand I like the idea of a fixed dust collector and all the machines permanently hooked up and ready to go.... On the other hand, my shop is just not big enough to have all the machines in a fixed location, so I am wondering if a more mobile dust collector makes sense. On the plus side of a mobile unit, I wouldn't have a bunch of ductwork around the shop. On the other hand, I will be committed to hooking up the mobile dust collector EVERY time I use a machine.

Any opinions or experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I will be constructing a new shop (22x24) this Spring to be attached to my garage. My shop is now in the basement and have an Oneida dust collection system (1.5 hp) with fixed ducting along one wall with flexible duct to connect to my various machines (TS, Shaper, Woodmaster molder, J/P, sanders, lathe, etc). All of my machines are currently on casters and I anticipate keeping them mobile in the new shop (with the possible exception of the tablesaw). I have been happy with this dust collector.

I am going back and forth whether to use my existing dust collection and set up the same fixed duct system or go with a mobile dust collector (such as the Onieda portable dust collector http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXP990301H&CatId={AC1122DA-3A28-4606-9B70-189ACD0BC2E4}) and wheel the dust collector around to each machine as I need it. On one hand I like the idea of a fixed dust collector and all the machines permanently hooked up and ready to go.... On the other hand, my shop is just not big enough to have all the machines in a fixed location, so I am wondering if a more mobile dust collector makes sense. On the plus side of a mobile unit, I wouldn't have a bunch of ductwork around the shop. On the other hand, I will be committed to hooking up the mobile dust collector EVERY time I use a machine.

Any opinions or experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, bob
    Bob,
    i went through the same deliberation a couple years ago. My shop is 24x24, similar to yours. In the end I decided I wanted a stationary collector with full ducting. I went with tge Oneida Smart Pro with VFD, and the clamp style ducting (I think it was KB, which is very similar to another manufacturer whose name escapes me. I put blast gates at every machine drop and installed a few vac hose drops too. I am very happy with tge setup. I will forward some photos if you are interested.

Nordfab is the other system, very similar to the Kb Duct i used. The advantage of these systems is you can easiky modify the arrangement, insert fittings, blast gates, etc as your shop layout evolves.

4. I have four of the Delta AP300 portable units - one on the table saw, bandsaw, planer & jointer and having used this setup now for many years I wouldn't think to have it any other way. Firstly you don't have to mess around running ductwork or figuring out how to run a duct under the floor to the equipment and secondly you have the full CFM going to one machine without any branches or gates to get in the way or clog. Plus having a bag at each machine means it takes quite a long time to fill.
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 01-21-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You won't regret installing fixed ducting. Mine is overhead, which is a pain to put in. I made overhead blast gates I operate with a sash cord. I use that dust collector (1.5 hp cyclone, pretty weak) for my table saw (I have an overhead 2.5" hose attached to the guard shunted into the 4" main duct), band saw, and panel saw. 3 lines. I use another 3hp dust collector for the planer and the big sanders. With the jointer I use a broom. My setup is funny and cramped and some of my stuff is outside under canopies. I'm in Los Angeles so the weather doesn't matter. If I were you I'd get a 3hp double bag collector, build a closet for it (loud) and run duct or just use a 25 foot hose until you get tired of moving it around. I get silly suction on that 3hp beast at the end of the hose and I have another open line running off it with no blast gate hooked to a stroke sander all the time.

A portable dust collector will take up floor space, when I set my shop up, I installed the dust collector on the outside of the wall, and walled in around it. I cut a hole for the return so did not lose the heat and cool air, used rubber hose and washers around the bolts to mount the dust collector on the wall. Tried a oneida dust sentry, which was not reliable, and finally cut a hole in the wall and put a small window in so I can see when the hose is full of dust. Have to use a light to illuminate the hose, or it can't be seen. It fills the hose in just a few seconds when you are planing, so have to keep one eye on the dust collector. Most operations don't make that much dust, but planing can fill the barrel in just a few minutes.

How much time you wanna spend making sawdust, versus the time spent moving a portable DC around the shop?

That will get real annoying, real fast.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    On the other hand, I will be committed to hooking up the mobile dust collector EVERY time I use a machine.

Cheers, bob
    Exactly the problem I had and I found more and more often I did not bother to move it for a single operation, say a single jointed edge in the middle of a lot of table saw work. Those missed connections really added up and when I finally went to a permanent installation, I had more dust on top of things (on top of drill press, on top of bandsaw, on top of the top shelf, on top of the Jet Air Cleaner of all places) than I ever imagined possible. I wasn't doing my lungs any favor with mobile setup. That was me, maybe you can be more disciplined about moving it each time.

James

I have to agree with Kent and James, and others, here. In the end, you will be further ahead to install a fixed position dust collector with ducting to each machine, even if the ducting is flexible on the floor, and not rigid overhead. The initial cost may be higher, but I think it is worth it over the long haul.

Thanks for all the input.....I think you guys have convinced me to go with a fixed system. Cheers, bob

11. I have been tempted many times to run a fixed system, but the truth is that I reconfigure my space too often to make it work, or is it that I'm too undecided about the layout.? So, I keep my table saw always connected to the dc which is very close by and then have a flexible dust right hose that I move between j/p and router table. This is a decent compromise for me because it is easy to move around and usually I'm bouncing between the table saw and another tool. And the dust collector never moves.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    If your going to buy a new DC. Spend the money there and get the last unit you will ever need. A big one. Then plumb it as you can afford and use a portable where you need it until your shop is complete.

Don

I have a fixed cyclone DC with overhead ducting and drops to the tools. I have often congratulated myself for biting the bullet and going with that set-up, even though it was barely affordable for me at the time. I tire of simply closing and opening blast gates much less having to disconnect and reconnect a DC hose evey time I swapped machines.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    I agree with most of the other posters. Put your 1.5 hp Oneida on Craig's List and get a 3 hp cyclone, you won't regret it. Run a 7" main. This is where it gets tricky: If all of your tools are moveable and you need to run flex, I was going to recommend going with the Rockler DustRight collapsible hose and quick connect system. I can pull close to 600 cfm through their 4" flex with my 2 hp system. But 4" flex isn't really big enough to do justice on a table saw, and possibly some of your other equipment. I find it works fine on my router table, lunchbox planer, jointer, 6" belt sander and band saw. So you will need to use some 6" flex connections. I have a 6" flex on the bottom of my TS with enough flex to move it at least 4 feet. But with a separate shop, you really ought to look at fixing at least several of your machines and going with a hard duct connection on those.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.

What Don and Ole said is really good advice. Don't forget Menards for pipe fittings, as they will ship to store the 26 gauge elbows. I bought an 8" off the shelf that was 26 gauge for about 5$. The 6" ones are 30 gauge at the store near here, someone else posted that they have the 26 somewhere, and they have that policy of shipping to your store without any freight charge. My experience is that you just pay up front and about a week later they let you know your stuff is at the store. No I don't own any stock in Menards, but it is becoming my favorite store.