Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing clean air

Breathing clean air

I have tried the Trend original which was to front heavy for me. I then tried the Trend Airshield pro and it gave me a head ache within 20 minutes of use,my Doc said problem from the very fine vibration in the fan.I'm asking if anyone using something else has an idea. I'm looking at a Airsteam helmet but am afraid it will be just like the Trend Airshield pro cause of the fan location. I don't want to have to have a tub following me but it's looking that way. Any Idea's Please.
    Thanks for any and all help.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Is the Triton still available anywhere? http://www.amazon.com/Flagline-PRA00...pr_product_top
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

3M makes an excellent system - you can also hook up to an air compressor for air supply
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...pirator-system
    look under powered air respirators
    Last edited by Brian Libby; 01-21-2014 at 7:48 PM.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

4. Sounds like some expensive trial and error!

Ralph, I'll be checking on the Triton to night.
    Brian, that's the way I think I'm going to have to go but really don't want to have the hose.
    Robert, luckily they all gave me my money but I'm just getting tiered of guessing.
    Thanks allot

If you've seen the Glenn Lucas videos you'll see a glimpse of him in a powered air system with a very light head cover. There are lab folks and certain operating rooms (Mayo, Rochester, MN) where the staff wear something along this line for much of the work day. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-assembly.html There are more heavy duty systems for wood turning but wearing safety glasses under this lightweight head gear might be something to think about... pricey but just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    3M makes an excellent system - you can also hook up to an air compressor for air supply
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...pirator-system
    look under powered air respirators
    Caution! I think I remember something other than an "oilless compressor" should only be used.
    Someone smarter than me should chime in.

David Lancaster ( heirloombowls.com)had a set up that used an air compressor with the 3M system.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Definitely do not use an oil type compressor.
    C&C WELCOME

Harry, if you end up with a system that needs a hose... Buy a micro hose for nail guns. They are real small diameter and light weight.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Harry,

I wear an underarmour skull cap under my air shield pro and it eliminates the vibration. It was bothering me too when I first used it. A thicker hat would probably do more to reduce it.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Just watched a JoHannes Mickelson video on wood hats. He wore a system that looked like the 3m Versaflow (about $1300 - $1500 depending on helmet options). NIOSH approved, + hard hat and faceshield (Z87.1 or Z89.1 depending on model). Weight again depends on model S100 helmet is 1.4 lb while the M300 is 1.9lb.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The turners that I know who have tried the Triton hate it. I tried one out and also did not like it. Besides being hot and uncomfortable and insufficient airflow, the filter isn't anything to brag about.

Some people like the Trend and others say it bothers their neck and feels top heavy. I have a friend who also has that complaint.

I have a 3M Airstream and love it. It costs less than the Versaflow, but still is expensive. I do not feel any vibration -- only the noise, but earmuffs will take care of that. It has a HEPA filter so there is no dust --not even any smell of wood.
    Bill

In my "Hello" thread, I posted a pic of myself at the lathe--wearing an Airmate system very much like the one John Thorson linked to above. You wear the battery powered filter/blower unit on a waist belt, and a hose runs up to the headpiece...I have both the industrial hardhat/faceshield combo and the lightweight Tyvek head cover you see me wearing in my pic.

This system works great. I used it for both industrial use and woodturning, but over the years it's gotten a bit tired, and while I may still use it for turning, for my occasional industrial usage I recently picked up a "Breathe-Cool" system, and I think I'm gonna get their "Bump Cap" headpiece and use it for turning. The Breathe Cool uses a blower, NOT a compressor (be very careful with compressors for breathing, oil in the compressed air can be dangerous to your health). It's less expensive than a breathing air compressor, or even the Air Mate, but I'm completely happy with it.

THANKS ALL
    You've all given me allot of info to look into and hopefully find something that will work for me. I knew if I ask here I'd get enough info to find what I needed Thanks to all and I'll let everyone know what I decide to do.