Thread: Which Black paint for Bar base cabinets?

Which Black paint for Bar base cabinets?

I am trying to decide which black paint to use for my basement bar base cabinets. They are newly built from Red oak ply and dimensional red oak. I know I shouldnt paint them, but if you were going to paint them...

I will be using a brush and mohair roller to apply paint. Sanding in between all coats. I am priming with SW All Surface Enamel oil primer. I cannot use some products because they can't make them in black. I am trying to decide between SW Pro Industrial Pre-catalyzed waterbased epoxy or BM Satin Impervo Alkyd Low Lustre.

Epoxy is water clean up and hard, but has to be tinted black. Impervo comes black from the factory so it may go on in less coats but solvent cleanup.

Am I missing something or should I be using something else? Insides and shelves will all be painted with the same paint.
    Last edited by Peter Hennigan; 01-21-2014 at 2:32 PM. Reason: forgot some details

Can I go wrong with either choice?

Coloring a paint at the retailer is trivial; that's how every conventional latex house paint is done.

I'd be curious to hear how the SW product behaves. I've never heard of an epoxy that doesn't require mixing a catalyst and a resin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Coloring a paint at the retailer is trivial; that's how every conventional latex house paint is done.

I'd be curious to hear how the SW product behaves. I've never heard of an epoxy that doesn't require mixing a catalyst and a resin.
    I think this is another one of those cases where they have hardened epoxy ground up and suspended in a acrylic base. Sort of "water-based polyurethane."

Nonetheless, I have water-based (one-part) "epoxy" on my basement floor and I'm kind of surprised how well it has help up for several years now.

I'd sort of lean towards the fake epoxy.

Factory vs. store tint

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

The reason I mentioned the factory vs. store tint is that I was told that the factory colorant is a lot stronger than the stuff they have in the store. The guy at BM told me a factory black would be a lot stronger than a tinted black when it comes to coverage. (i.e. may on need 2 coats of factory black vs 3 coats if tinted at the store). So I could potentially get away with one less coat if I went with the factory oil based black. But if the epoxy has very good coverage over the gray tinted primer i am using that point is moot.