Thread: Lee Valley Box slotting bit question

Lee Valley Box slotting bit question

After seeing the thread on the I-Box jig, I went ahead and ordered one. I am thinking of also getting the Lee Valley Box Slotting bit. My plan is to make some boxes to help get my shop organized. I am not sure which of the Box slotting bits would be appropriate the shallow or the deep cut one. Actually, I'm also wondering the range of size boxes that would be appropriate for 1/8 and 1/4 plywood bottoms. Any experience with this bit, and which way to go?

Thanks

John

I ordered the shallow depth 1/8 bit. My thinking was I am using it for decorative boxes, so shallow depth should work well and 1/8 width because adjustments on a router table could make dadoes as wide as needed. I haven't had a chance to use it yet so take this for what it's worth.

Blog Entries
    The idea of these bits is to run the slot around the inside of a dry-fit box so fence adjustments don't help with depth control. I got the 1/8" and swap bearings to change depth. It works well but, on tearout prone material it is best to scribe the outer edges of the cut before machining. Although I love Lee Valley products, this one doesn't get much use. I have moved to doing stopped dados on the router table with a spiral bit as the cut is cleaner in my experience.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-21-2014 at 8:56 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have both sizes and like them a lot. Be aware that the drawer bottoms need to have rounded corners, I use a penny to layout the corner and a few passes with a file and it is good to go.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!