Thread: Unisaw bearings

Unisaw bearings

I noticed a strange noise this afternoon and find that the arbor bearings need replacing. Is it possible to do this without removing the top?

I did it on my Jet saw which is very similar to the unisaw. Wasn't that fun, but it sure is do able.

It's possible, but a heck of a lot easier if you remove the top.

Check out this if you have problems: http://www.sawcenter.com/unisaw.htm

My 2 cents.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I just restored a 1950's Uni and replaced the bearings. Don't see how you could do this with the top on. I just took lots of pictures and dimensions before removing the top and it only took about 10-15 minutes to re-align it. You will most likely need a gear/bearing puller. To put them on I used a 3/4" pipe (fits the inner race perfectly). You can get much more info including what replacements you need at OWWM. You can also PM me if you need help.

Mike

2/3 of the work removing the top is removing the fence and any tables. Just keep track if there are any shims under any of the corners and be sure to put them back where you found them. After that, its a good excuse to realign the table. Just snug up the bolts and use a rubber mallet to tap it into place and tighten it down.

While you've got it apart you can also give it a thorough cleaning and lubricate all the works with Teflon Spray (Lowes has it in the tool department with the WD40, Liquid Wrench, etc.)

Also a good excuse to install new belts. I got belts and bearings for mine from the local branch of Applied Industrial Technologies and IIRC it was something like $30.

Before removing top, use a dial caliper to measure the distance from blade to miter slot. If top isn't repositioned exactly as it was, none of your sleds, etc will fit. All will require new kerfs to be cut. The bearings are 6203-2RS. This probably the most common bearing in the world. You can get them for as little as two bucks, or as much as $20 each. Your saw came with the two buck ones. Fastenal stocks them in most locations.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-20-2014 at 9:24 PM.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Go to OWWM, there are numerous write ups on doing bearings on a Unisaw.

It is certainly possible, just takes a bit longer. I did it with my Unisaw as it's interconnected with another saw and out-feed tables. Was quite a while ago though so can't help much with the how-to part of it

good luck,
    JeffD