Thread: A couple of pieces - coming out of a slump

A couple of pieces - coming out of a slump

I haven't been doing much turning lately, had other things going on. Other than a few ornaments for Christmas, these are the only pieces I've turned in the last few months.

I turned this one today. Felt good to make shavings again. It's redwood burl, 6" x 2" finished with Danish oil and Antique oil and I think l'll add some WOP for a little more sheen.

I've been working on this one for about 2 1/2 months. It was commissioned by one of the groomsmen that saw a smaller piece I gave the bride and groom as a wedding present.
    It's Norfolk Island Pine, 14" x 7". I started applying finish yesterday and it sucked up a full pint of Danish oil like a sponge. I'll add a few more coats and then give it some kind of top coat. It will be used as a center piece, so I didn't go super thin or for translucence.

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy I particularly like the Redwood burl. Funny thing, yesterday at our club meeting was the first time I'd seen a Redwood turning up close and I was very impressed with the beauty of the wood so this piece just reinforces that for me. Be a burl makes it even more beautiful! It's a departure from your traditional Mesquite but I like what you've done with it! As for the "slump", I know how you feel!
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

Kathy, nice looking wood and shape. More importantly, here's hoping that you will get over the hump and that the slump will be behind you.... :-) :-)

Beautiful, Kathy!

David

Those are nice Kathy. Glad to see ya back and turning. I am having the same problem as I haven't been doing much turning except for ornaments. I did get 4 sets of bowls turned and hoping my eye surgery will bring back some clarity and seeing half way decent again. lol
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The beauty of the redwood overpowers the fine work that you did on both of these pieces. That NIP must have made a LOT of shavings. We have missed seeing your work, do you need summer time temperatures to get inspired?

When you come out of a slump, you don't mess around!
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

very nice.....welcome back

Beautiful, maybe this will get me out of mine. Thanks

10. I had noticed you were AWOL for a while now.......glad things are spinning again for you K!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice to see you back at it and dropping in to say so! I have been in the same boat, for quite a while, and am looking forward to turning again...as well.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks for the comments guys!
    The redwood burl is as nice to turn as it is too look at. I went a little thin at the widest point and almost made a bowl with a funnel top.
    The NIP did make a lot of shavings! I should have put something else in the pic for scale, but I think I could drop the little redwood piece right down through the mouth.
    Temps are forecast in the mid 70s this week, so it should be some good turning weather.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice to see you back, Kathy. Good work.

14. I really like both of these. Graceful forms for beautiful wood always makes a winner. Good job!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike