Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on finding a metric plough plane

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Millington View Post
    My Record 050c came with a wide selection of metric and imperial cutters. The handle is stupidly bad but it was easy enough to make a proper replacement using slightly modified tote template from the Lee Valley web page.
    I would love a Record 050c, but they appear to be available only via UK sellers on eBay, most of whom are not shipping overseas. Any tips on acquiring one stateside?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tompkins View Post
    I would love a Record 050c, but they appear to be available only via UK sellers on eBay, most of whom are not shipping overseas. Any tips on acquiring one stateside?
    I got it off eBay 5-6 years ago from a stateside seller. It was like new. Only one of the cutters had been honed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tompkins View Post
    I want a plough (plow) plane, specifically to try tongue and groove joinery, and I have a few requirements:
    1. I would prefer everything in my shop to be metric, eventually, so I want a 6mm tongue cutter and a 6mm groove cutter to match a 6mm chisel that I already own.
    2. Gotta have a depth stop. I know some plough planes don't have a depth stop, but I don't quite trust myself that much yet. I have a Stanley 78, and I am positive that it would be useless to me with out the depth stop.
    3. I would prefer a metal plane for the time being, but I'm open to a woody of some sort if it meets my other requirements.
    4. I've got about $100 to spend.

Why do you want a plough for tongue and groove? The Stanley #48 and/or #49 make it painless to do T&G, and have a depth stop and fence built in. Either should be under $100. They're not metric, but the 5/16" irons on the 48 are ~8 mm wide (though I really don't think this matters…my wooden plough's irons are only approximate in width, and it's not a problem).

Blog Entries
    I'd certainly consider that or a 13-050, but it looks like they're no easier to acquire than a Stanley 50, Record 050, or Record 050c. eBay is pretty sparse right now, but a Stanley 50 with cutters seems to be attainable. And at this point, with some sense talked into me, I'd be happy with 1/4" groove and tongue cutters instead of 6mm.

I would even consider an Anant 52, which appears to be based on the Stanley 13-050, if I could find one for a decent price, or at all.

What is it about plough planes that makes them so rare nowadays?
    My tendency would be to pass on the Anant plane. I have no experience with them, but I have seen some of he modern plane shaped objects that some are trying to market to the unsuspecting.

Currently there are some Stanley 45s on ebay at less than $100 at buy it now prices with shipping.

They do not have blades, but those are usually easy to find.

I have not evaluated any of the currently available offerings so it is buyer beware, but it isn't that hard of a task to give them a look see.

Here is a little information on the Stanley 45:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...04#post1176704

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Maxwell View Post
    [/LIST]

Why do you want a plough for tongue and groove? The Stanley #48 and/or #49 make it painless to do T&G, and have a depth stop and fence built in. Either should be under $100. They're not metric, but the 5/16" irons on the 48 are ~8 mm wide (though I really don't think this matters…my wooden plough's irons are only approximate in width, and it's not a problem).
    Adam, that's a fine idea! I wasn't really aware of those planes before, despite them both preceding the #50 on the Blood and Gore page, which I've used as a reference quite a few times. I like the reversible fence, which allows one cutter to perform both tongue cutting and groove cutting. The only thing I'm unsure about is this bit:

"...it is designed to work stock from 3/4" to 1 1/4" in thickness (the groove centers on stock 7/8")."

So, it appears that the groove and tongue will only be centered on boards that are 7/8" thick, the fence is not adjustable? That simplifies things nicely, but I plan to use this tool in ways that may expose the ends of the boards I join, and I'm not sure the stickler in me can live with an off-center tongue and groove. Also, in general, I like the idea of buying a plane which might do some other jobs in the future as needed, though tongue and groove is the only thing I definitely have in mind for it.

I'll have to do some looking. Maybe there's a plane similar to the #48/#49 that has an adjustable fence?

I'll have to do some looking. Maybe there's a plane similar to the #48/#49 that has an adjustable fence?
    Not that I'm aware of; traditionally, match planes come in a specific size, and are used ±1/8" of the nominal size. I have a #49, which centers a groove on 1/2" (IIRC), and I mainly use it for 3/8"-ish cabinet backs. A recent acquisition of mine is a pair of wooden 3/8" match planes, and I've long had a pair of wooden 7/8" match planes. These work well, but can be more finicky than the Stanleys.

I'm all in favor of having a plough as a general purpose tool! Although I have the matching irons for my Stanley #45 and #46, I've never actually tried them. As long as you don't have to adjust the fence when swapping irons, it's probably a perfectly adequate solution.

I've wondered about shimming the fence on the Stanley match plane, and I _think_ that would work as long as you added the same thickness shim to both sides of the fence. Maybe someday I'll try that with my spare Franken49 .

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Maxwell View Post
    Not that I'm aware of; traditionally, match planes come in a specific size, and are used ±1/8" of the nominal size. I have a #49, which centers a groove on 1/2" (IIRC), and I mainly use it for 3/8"-ish cabinet backs. A recent acquisition of mine is a pair of wooden 3/8" match planes, and I've long had a pair of wooden 7/8" match planes. These work well, but can be more finicky than the Stanleys.

I'm all in favor of having a plough as a general purpose tool! Although I have the matching irons for my Stanley #45 and #46, I've never actually tried them. As long as you don't have to adjust the fence when swapping irons, it's probably a perfectly adequate solution.

I've wondered about shimming the fence on the Stanley match plane, and I _think_ that would work as long as you added the same thickness shim to both sides of the fence. Maybe someday I'll try that with my spare Franken49 .
    While it may work to add a piece to both sides of the fence, the #48 and #49 t&g planes have a fixed depth of cut, so are somewhat limited in use(if you're going to use them for other grooving duties besides t&g).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    While it may work to add a piece to both sides of the fence, the #48 and #49 t&g planes have a fixed depth of cut, so are somewhat limited in use(if you're going to use them for other grooving duties besides t&g).
    Of course; the OP was looking for a way to make centered T&G on varying stock widths, and that's where my response was aimed. Using a match plane as a general purpose plough is as silly as using a smoother or jack for scrub duty.