Thread: CAD/CAM software Q - transitioning from Corel & Illustrator

CAD/CAM software Q - transitioning from Corel & Illustrator

So I'm making the leap from my laser engraver and getting a CNC machine - and I'm using Corel (mainly) and Illustrator for my files.

Is there a 'more friendly' CAD and/or CAM software that someone with my Corel/Illustrator knowledge should look into?

And can anyone recommend a good CAD/CAM for dummies type of training book? I think I understand the basics of how the program(s) will work, but I'd like to do a bit of research before I jump in.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Mike,

You didn't mention your budget restrictions. I am a fan of Vectric software, VCarve Pro which is about 500 bucks and Aspire which is a couple grand. I started with VCarve Pro and then did the upgrade to Aspire after a couple years, both programs are a great value IMO. Depending on your budget and the level of your machining needs one of these programs might work for you.

+1 on vectric software. It sounds like alot of money, but look at the others, 2 to 3 times the cost of vectric

Vcarve Pro is $600 retail.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I don't know that I would count on "transitioning from" Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator as there is still a purpose for a graphics design program, even if you use a nice CAD/CAM program like Vcarve Pro. The design capabilities of all the CAD/CAM programs I have tried are quite limited compared to an illustration program. Fortunately, all the CAM programs I am aware of will easily import the design files from either Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. I would consider that an advantage in that you can effectively use much of what you already know going from engraving to carving.

I am new to this stuff like you are and I am also looking for reference information. It seems there aren't any books on the subject similar to what you would find on table saws or routers. If you find any, please post them. The best source of information on software I have found so far are the many excellent and free tutorials you will find on the Vectric (Vcarve Pro, Aspire) website. They start with the basics and work you through the more sophisticated features of the software. This excellent resource is one reason why I have settled on Vectric products.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-13-2014 at 9:26 PM.

+1 for Vcarve pro 7 as well , we just moved to it from signlab and profilelab and its very easy and intuitive to use. Export out of Corel and AI and import into Vcarve works a charm.
    I would suggest you view their on site tutorials and download their trial software which you can run on your cnc machine.
    I had to write a post processor for my Tekcel T-series router as it is old , but they have 100's of post's and I'm pretty sure your machine will be there.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike vonBuelow View Post
    So I'm making the leap from my laser engraver and getting a CNC machine - and I'm using Corel (mainly) and Illustrator for my files.

Is there a 'more friendly' CAD and/or CAM software that someone with my Corel/Illustrator knowledge should look into?

And can anyone recommend a good CAD/CAM for dummies type of training book? I think I understand the basics of how the program(s) will work, but I'd like to do a bit of research before I jump in.
    Mike,

I have the same problem but in the opposite direction I am going from a CNC machine to a laser. I have been using Aspire (Vectric) for four years which has really and has great good step by step tutorials http://support.vectric.com/training material I have Coral Draw but I am trying to find tutorials, the tutorials I do find are for creating art work, I am looking for basic vector design stuff. I am now creating my designs in Aspire and exporting into Coral Draw because Aspire has some really easy trim tools .... maybe Coral Draw does but I am unable to find any information or basic vector tutorials.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

I use my Aspire to design the export it as a dxf and import into my laser software.