Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rope is best for pulling planes??

Sean, the rope needs to be sized properly to the task at hand. For example, planing balsa or basswood, with the grain, probably just ordinary kitchen twine, use too heavy a strand and you will lose touch with your work. On the other hand, with hickory, you may need to resort to a steel cable, 1/4" for example. Also, keep in mind that the lower on the knob you can place the rope will lower the 'centre of effort'. We may need to turn our knobs to create a rope groove, much lower than the present reduced diameter.

I made a 6"
    wide crown and bed molding planes for the housewrights in the museum when they were building a building completely by hand. They just used ordinary old rope as they could not find real hemp at the time. The planes had a dowel on each side so someone could assist by pulling. I made the irons too. They planed 130' of molding without re sharpening,they said.

The "This Old House" guy(what's his name?) was visiting one time. They cautiously let him handle the plane. He is well known off camera for just carelessly tossing things down after he looks at them. Another "Hollywood" woodworker. I don't know how they do it. Somehow he was cautioned to be careful.

Perhaps some plane makers could be induced to produce planes with mini "tow hooks" down low on the plane's body for attaching the requisite towing cable.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-11-2014 at 8:56 AM.

I personally like a tow bar. I don't like any flex in my remote controlled wood show tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I replied that I had done it with a Record plane and gave a few tips on how to perform the stunt.
    It worked with several planes for me, too. And I realized it was a wood show trick. Some of the vendors get offended if you claim that any other vendor's tricks are just party tricks. It's happened to me, too (getting lectured for contesting something a vendor put up - with the lecture coming from another vendor who is in the woodshow club).

No slight to Ron Brese intended by any of the above, it definitely wasn't Ron, and Ron was more than helpful when I was building a single iron infill.

Give a man enough rope and he'll pull his plane.

Teach a man how to pull his plane,and he will let you do all the work.

Make a man pull his own plane and he will soon tire of it and stop messing around and go figure out how to make a living.

Wait,somehow this isn't working out right.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-11-2014 at 5:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    While I've used a plane before a bit, the rope technique highlighted in another thread is new to me. Can anyone share their expertise as to which sort of rope is best for the technique? I've heard hemp, while historically accurate, is a bit more rough on the hands and not as durable over the long term. Nylon is apparently the most friendly to the knob finishes but can be a little slippery. Some apparently like the braided yacht style ropes, and I have even heard of guys who swear by rubber tubing. I'm lost and could really use some help. What thickness, what material, what braiding?

https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc...FRBnOgod3yMAhA

Na, you got it all wrong. It's horse hair, but only from the subspecies of horse call the unicorn. Apparently this hair also cures gout and cancer and when wrapped around your wrist will stop you smoking. Also when draped over your lovely wife's shoulders she will find you handsome again...

I think I'm gonna try that plane pulling trick with my makita power planer. Will let you know how it turns out after I'm released from the hospital
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 01-11-2014 at 9:59 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Can't believe everyone on the internet either ... Just FYI, it was Jameel Abraham with Ron Brese's Stainless Panel Plane, there was no cheating, it is clear as day that the string is tied in a knot. Watch the video...

Heck, I'll go one further. I have pushed that very plane in the video on 2" rock maple, it really is that easy. Brese makes some sick handplanes.
    Ya!! But can he use the plane with his hands tied behind his back with that piece of string… That's what I want to know.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Those guys need to not pull uphill.

I have a WARN winch for when the hand tool work gets really heavy.

And hip boots for other situations where the poo gets too deep.

This method is called Rope-A-Dope.

Oh Boy, look at all the fire starter for the smithy's forge on the ground!

It is my understanding that in a WWing plant that specialized in large mouldings, and had a waterwheel or steam engine for power, that they would wrap the rope around one of the axles that powered the line shafts and use it like a cat head for pulling large planes easily.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

But how would they detach the rope at the end of the planing stroke? It wouldn't do to slam the plane into the steam engine.

Its obvious that you have never seen a cat head in use? Its a friction drive, when you pull on the end that's wrapped several times around the shaft it grabs and thus does the work, quit pulling and it stops, no friction to grab the shaft. In the old days before fully mounted carnival rides, that's how the Ferris Wheels were assembled and disassembled. Its also used on oil well drilling rigs.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand