Thread: Fresh information about HF files

Fresh information about HF files

I should have gotten around to this some time ago,but yesterday I had the occasion of using the HF file I bought several months ago.

Sorry to say,though the bastard cut file looked o.k.,it just filed like it was worn out rather than like a sharp new file. I haven't looked at the teeth under a microscope,but I think maybe the teeth have been bent back too much during cutting them.

Regardless of the problem,the file just did not file mild steel well. I will not buy any more of them.

At some point,I will try the Kobalt files that Lowes sells. But don't hold your breath!! I move slowly these days.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-13-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks for sharing your findings on this quest George.

This just reminds me that yesterday, I partially refiled teeth into a disston thumbhole rip with a bacho file. the bahcos are so nicely made. I have to file about the equivalent of a third of the depth of all of the teeth all the way along the saw, and so far it feels like I may get through that with a single corner on the file.

Thanks for the info George!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    This just reminds me that yesterday, I partially refiled teeth into a disston thumbhole rip with a bacho file. the bahcos are so nicely made. I have to file about the equivalent of a third of the depth of all of the teeth all the way along the saw, and so far it feels like I may get through that with a single corner on the file.
    +1 I've tried lots of vintage and contempory saw files which represented for me lots of time and $. For such a utilitarian tool, saw file - I now just buy bahco and call it a day. David as you describe re-toothing is too much work too use soft files IMHO.

Cheers, Mike

Are we specifically referring to Bahco saw files or just sommer metal files that can be used on anything?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I think George is talking about mill files, and I muddied the water with talk about saw files.

Yes,8" mill file from HF. Bastard cut. I would like to try a Kobalt from Lowes. At least they are available with finer teeth. I hate those hexagonal tangs. They try to force you to use their ugly 2 tone plastic handles. I say just drill a hole in a wood handle and drive the hex in.

Probably I'll end up cluttering my shop with another BAD Asian file when I buy a Kobalt. Have to wait and see.