Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Never used a service like this before but for the price may give it a try.

I have a Kindle Fire HD. Amazon Prime is $79/ year with no minimum free shipping. How is selection compared to Netflix?

Netflix is $7.99 a month. Only interested in streaming movies,

What is the selection like on Netflix? I looked at Netflix.com and thought the selection was kinda weak. Is it only a sample of movies offered then once you subscribe you get to see the full selection?

How hard is it to cancel the service. Want no part of spending months on end trying to dump the service if I do not like it.

Any woodworking related videos available.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-10-2014 at 9:53 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have had both and still use Amazon Prime. It's more or less free movies since the shipping on items is worth the expense. Their selection is about as good as Netflix. Neither have recent movies, but I like John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, submarine movies, Westerns, etc. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable haven't made made any recent movies.

I also have them both. I need Amazon Prime because of the free shipping (my business sources product there sometimes). I added Netflix because there is stuff that wasn't available for free at Amazon Prime. For example, Netflix has all the episodes for Breaking Bad including in the monthly fee, Amazon wanted me to pay something like $1 or $2 per episode.

I've had them both for a while now, I not longer have cable TV.

I just signed-up for a trial of Hulu Plus. I don't like the commercials. I'll probably drop that one.

If you shop at Amazon you can't beat that prime two day shipping though it does not apply to everything. You also get one free book a month to borrow for your Kindle. I just signed up for a thing called Kindle First (free) where they offer a choice of a book per month that has not been released yet. In the past their movie collection seemed to be lacking anything new but I read in the tech news that they are beefing it up to compete with Netflix. I have not checked it out yet however. I like Amazon but I read recently that they rate near the top for most disgruntled employees, maybe there is a price for us getting our stuff so quickly.

I can't compare it the other, but netflix gives tons for the 8 dollars per month.

My wife is using the free trial to NetFlix right now but they don't seem to have a big selection of new releases. I've also been looking at another, similar option, RedBox streaming. They have newer movies (it seems) not sure their total catalog is as big as the other two mentioned. It could be RedBox is more geared to new releases. Anyone here have experience with RedBox?

Blog Entries
    Movies are not the strength of Netflix. They have very few recent movies. TV shows are their strength. They have many really good British tv shows that have never been on us channels. We are watching one now called Foyles War which is very good. Plus, they are starting to develop original programming to compete with HBO.

I have Prime, Netflix and Hulu plus. Each one has it's good points. About a year ago Netflix used to be better. They lost over 3000 movies when they made a deal to have Disney movies. It is a cheaper option than cable or satellite.

Blog Entries
    We have Amazon Prime to get their free shipping, and let me tell you they are loosing money on us. At least half of our Christmas shopping used Amazon prime. We also have Netflix and that is where we started streaming to our Blu-ray player and to the TV. Both services have been problematic due to our Sony Blu-ray player having issues with the streaming servers. Lots of buffering issues. We mostly watch TV series. Recent favorite was the Canadian show Flashpoint, the best police series we have ever seen. We switched over to Amazon to watch season four due to buffering issues with Netflix. When we went to season five, Amazon wanted $2.99 per episode for HD quality, even with Amazon Prime, so we went back to Netflix to struggle to finish out the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Movies are not the strength of Netflix. They have very few recent movies. TV shows are their strength. They have many really good British tv shows that have never been on us channels. We are watching one now called Foyles War which is very good. Plus, they are starting to develop original programming to compete with HBO.
    I've watched every Foyles War on the local PBS station here for years !
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Just before Christmas I elfed myself a Netflix subscription and a Cromecast dongle (was on sale at BB for 30 bucks). Super awesomely cool. Not sure that Amazon has a Cromecast app but for the little extra chedder being able to watch streaming Netflix in the TV is dreamy.

Netflix has a 30 day free trial.

I've got no affiliation with any of the above, other than being a happy consumer.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 01-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.

I haven't used either service so I have a question for those who do use them. How do you connect from your Internet to the TV? It seems that you'd need something like a portable PC to connect to the Internet and do the selection of the movie, then have an HDMI connection to your TV.

I don't have any game consoles or BlueRay players - just a set top box connected via Ethernet to ATT U-Verse, and an HDMI connection from the set top box to the TV. The TVs I have do not have WiFi built in - just an HDMI connection.

Given that, how would I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime movies on my TV?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I haven't used either service so I have a question for those who do use them. How do you connect from your Internet to the TV?
    I use a Roku, which is a little device that has a wireless transceiver and an HDMI port, along with a remote control. You connect the HDMI to your TV, and use the remote to configure the Roku for wireless access to your Internet router. Then you can add "channels" for Amazon or Netflix or Hulu or others (one of my favorites of late is PBS).

I think the Roku can also be hardwired, but the wireless works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    We have Amazon Prime to get their free shipping, and let me tell you they are loosing money on us. At least half of our Christmas shopping used Amazon prime. We also have Netflix and that is where we started streaming to our Blu-ray player and to the TV. Both services have been problematic due to our Sony Blu-ray player having issues with the streaming servers. Lots of buffering issues. We mostly watch TV series. Recent favorite was the Canadian show Flashpoint, the best police series we have ever seen. We switched over to Amazon to watch season four due to buffering issues with Netflix. When we went to season five, Amazon wanted $2.99 per episode for HD quality, even with Amazon Prime, so we went back to Netflix to struggle to finish out the series.
    Ole, we have the same problem with sony and I have gone around with them (sony) about it several times. The issue is they route all their traffic through their sony servers (gaming as well) which creates a horrific bottleneck. I have threatened many times to drive a railroad spike through the sony blueray and ship it to the US CEO. Its well documented that sony has this issue but they simply wont admit it or address it. Streaming from any device other than sony is fine. Its too bad for the providers (amazon/netflix) as people think its an issue with them but it has nothing to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I use a Roku, which is a little device that has a wireless transceiver and an HDMI port, along with a remote control. You connect the HDMI to your TV, and use the remote to configure the Roku for wireless access to your Internet router. Then you can add "channels" for Amazon or Netflix or Hulu or others (one of my favorites of late is PBS).

I think the Roku can also be hardwired, but the wireless works fine for me.
    Thanks, Phil. When you use Roku, how do you select the movie you want to see? Do you get a "selection screen" on the TV that allows you to browse the movies available and make your selection? Or do you make the selection on your PC and then tell the system to stream to Roku?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.