Hello.
So I've a question for all you bandsaw / bearing experts out there. It involves the old Powermatic 140.

In trouble shooting for a serious wobbling/rocking problem, I've decided to replace the wheel bearings based on the age of the machine and the grit sound upon turning the wheels (perhaps could help with some wobble issues too, but I would like to do it regardless).

My problem is in removing the lower set of bearings, which sit in housings opposite each other on the same drive shaft running though the ID of both bearings. Essentially this leaves no place for purchase on the inner OR outer race, and no access from behind since each bearing is guarding the rear-end of the other. A well defended keep!

These pictures should make my words clearer:
Attachment 279425Front side)
Attachment 279426(rear side)
Attachment 279427(Housing unit removed)

My only guess is to whack the drive shaft while supporting the large flanged out housing, perhaps dislodging the shaft from both bearings, or perhaps dislodging the shaft from the ID of the uphill bearing while dislodging the downhill bearing from its housing. I don't want to go mangling a good bandsaw however, so advice is appreciated!

TK