Thread: Bandsaw lower bearing removal on Powermatic 140

Question Bandsaw lower bearing removal on Powermatic 140

Hello.
    So I've a question for all you bandsaw / bearing experts out there. It involves the old Powermatic 140.

In trouble shooting for a serious wobbling/rocking problem, I've decided to replace the wheel bearings based on the age of the machine and the grit sound upon turning the wheels (perhaps could help with some wobble issues too, but I would like to do it regardless).

My problem is in removing the lower set of bearings, which sit in housings opposite each other on the same drive shaft running though the ID of both bearings. Essentially this leaves no place for purchase on the inner OR outer race, and no access from behind since each bearing is guarding the rear-end of the other. A well defended keep!

These pictures should make my words clearer:
    Attachment 279425Front side)
    Attachment 279426(rear side)
    Attachment 279427(Housing unit removed)

My only guess is to whack the drive shaft while supporting the large flanged out housing, perhaps dislodging the shaft from both bearings, or perhaps dislodging the shaft from the ID of the uphill bearing while dislodging the downhill bearing from its housing. I don't want to go mangling a good bandsaw however, so advice is appreciated!

TK

I realized they do make tools that can grab a hold the bearing in between the housings, but they cost much. I'm really guessing that i can simply remove the drive shaft, either by whacking it out with a mallet, or by using a three jaw puller. My only real concern would be damaging the drive shaft step / seat if i try to force both bearing out by pushing out the shaft. Would this likely by fine?

Your pictures are not loading. I have rebuilt a Powermatic 141 and 143 bandsaw. In the 141 (closest model), the procedure called for removing the wheel, and then gently tapping out the shaft. It only taps out one way though. If you are replacing the bearings you can then get to the back of one bearing from placing a driver through the middle of the other and tapping it out. No special tools needed. Not many pictures of the 140 out there, but here are two:

11064-C.jpg11093-D.jpg

Thanks for the reply. That's the beast.
    I'll try and load the pics again, maybe a smaller file size...

PM 140 front.jpgPM 140 back.jpgpm 140 off.jpg

I'm letting the bearings/housing soak in 3:1 oil. Tapping the shaft out is probably the way to go, or hook gear puller jaws to the housing flange. I assume the housing fit is slip (although at this point is as good as press considering how long its been sittin' in there).

My big question is if once I begin tapping the shaft through will the shoulder on the opposite end catch the other bearings inner race and push it out if its housing? My concern would be that if its locked in there too tight, the shaft shoulder may deform rather than push the bearing clean out...

Bearing puller will do the job. I've pulled the bearings our of an old walkerturner and once it breaks free it will be easy. One word of advice. Measure the distance from shaft end to the bearing and record it. I use a sharpie to mark mine. This will help you put the new bearing back in the exact same spot. If you don't have a bearing press (harbour freight has a cheap one), drill a hole in a wooden block slightly larger than the shaft and tapp the bearing into place with a persuader (3lb hammer). If you need any advice I'd go over to the old woodworking machine forum. Great advice there and most documentation if you can't find it. It's been invaluable to my old 1934 Delta 14" BS and the walker turner 16". Good luck post the pic's when done.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely have to check out owwm forum. Its tough finding info on this thing!

Ty