Thread: Looking for machinist chest hardware

Looking for machinist chest hardware

Have been looking all over the net.
    Since machinistchest.com is down, I can't find another source.
    I need a small ring pull like this.
    The 3 hole one on John's site might work, but mine only has 2 hole.
    The ring is separate, and is held to the drawer by a small metal strap, then is bent over in the back like a Gerstner rivet.
    The other part is a metal cup, that the ring strap passes through, and is held down by 2 small nails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well shoot, I pulled out my old Woodsmith issue with the machinist chest plans to see what they had as the hardware source and it was machinistchest.com. However, the site seems to be working for me:

http://www.machinistchest.com/site/p...php?item_id=18

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peet; 01-05-2014 at 8:17 PM. Reason: more info

It might be limited but try Ohio Travel Bag.

I rehabilitated a very old Machinist chest and replaced all of the hardware with stuff I bought from Gerstner. They were very helpful. I am sure if you are looking to match a particular item and they can help source it, they will be cooperative. Now, on price......

Did not see it on Gerstners site. I will check Ohio Travel Bag.
    No, the owner of the site passes away at a young age, only 54, about a year ago.
    It says they are to reopen this month, but so far have not.
    I hope the prices don't go up, and he always had free shipping.
    I e mailed, but the response is just a CC of my e mail.

Edit.........I sent Ohio Travel Bag an e mail.

Rest in peace:
    John Thomas Miletta (February 2, 1958 - September 7, 2012)

Currently the Website is not taking orders while we reorganize the business.
    Please send any requests to Sales@machinistchest.com
    We are still working to get the estate in order before taking orders.
    (Planned RE-Opening January 2014!) Thanks for your patience and condolences.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 01-05-2014 at 9:30 PM.

Ohio Travel Bag they are pretty much wholesale, but he gave me there "sister site" but it is not very good. None of the information links seem to work, and they don't seem to have half of what is in the PDF catalog.
    Ohio Travel Bag just took my order, I ordered 2 each for now of these brass rings, 5/8" inside Diameter, and I will try to find a .030 thick piece of brass stock, and in between a ball pien hammer, a wood form, and my metal lathe, try to form the cup I need.
    Do they make a special drill bit that forms a round bottom blind hole?
    These are carved out on these drawers like that,to receive the cup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A plunge router with a bit something like one of the ones in this link should be able to do what you need. Most router bit manufacturers make them. The link is just to give you an idea of what is available, but I do like Woodline router bits my lower usage needs. They are very good for their price, but I buy better when buying the more frequently used bits.

http://www.woodline.com/p-1373-round...-box-bits.aspx

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    Did not see it on Gerstners site.
    You have to call them, and talk with one of the old geezers who has stuff stashed in his bench in the back room. They are VERY helpful folks and will direct you to the guy who knows the guy who had a few of those hanging around in an old box from way back when. Know what I am trying to say? You won't find them offered for sale on a web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    A plunge router with a bit something like one of the ones in this link should be able to do what you need. Most router bit manufacturers make them. The link is just to give you an idea of what is available, but I do like Woodline router bits my lower usage needs. They are very good for their price, but I buy better when buying the more frequently used bits.

Charley
    OK thanks, I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    You have to call them, and talk with one of the old geezers who has stuff stashed in his bench in the back room. They are VERY helpful folks and will direct you to the guy who knows the guy who had a few of those hanging around in an old box from way back when. Know what I am trying to say? You won't find them offered for sale on a web site.
    Is the number on there site?
    I guess it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post

Charley
    OK Box core bit.....................I have to decide now 1" or 7/8" actually the diameter on mine seems closer to 15/16"
    I would want to plunge down just one time as opposed to routing a circle right? I think that would be best.

I'm just wondering if I could get away with something like this
    http://www.hardwarestore.com/flush-f...ll-603678.aspx
    Stanley flush finger pull, this is 3/4 wonder if they make one in 1".
    This size might even be OK, as I have one already.
    I will have to mock it up when I get my rings in.