Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in Baltimore?

Things to do in Baltimore?

I'm going to be in Baltimore on business for several days, and have a little free time on my hands. Any suggestions for "must sees", woodworking or not? I like good food of course, and will be sure to check out the crabcakes-any specific restaurant recommendations-crabcakes or not? Thanks, Tony
    Tony

The aquarium is awesome. In fact the Barnes and Noble bookstore next to the aquarium has an awesome freshwater tank maintained by the aquarium at the top of the stairs as well. I'd say both are a must see. It isn't often you find an awe inspiring freshwater tank like that. There are a bunch of restaraunts to be found in the Inner Harbor. I liked the area called the Power Station as well for eats. We went to Babaloo for Cuban food. I sucked down a few Mojitos there as well. You can alway hit the improv as well. Most things are within walking distance of the Inner Harbor area. Enjoy yourself.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Even though i hate the Orioles, I don't think i could go to baltimore without catching a game. They have the best stadium in the country aside from fenway

Tony, I dont know where you are staying but in Rosedale, just outside City limits is a crab house named Kahlers. Best crabs around and crabcakes arent bad either. The Broadway production of The Lion King is playing at the Hippodrome Theater downtown. If you are into carving there is a guy with a studio on Saratoga Street that is unbeleivable. Bass Pro has a mega store in Arundel Mills. Depends on what you like. PM me if you want some more info. Also when are you coming to town?

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Even though i hate the Orioles, I don't think i could go to baltimore without catching a game. They have the best stadium in the country aside from fenway
    OOPS, was that a typo? I'm sure you were thinking Wrigley Field!

I would second catching a game, and knocking about inner harbor - nice places to sit and relax abound.

Wes

Thanks, all. I've already got a ticket for a game-Astros. Charlie-I'll be there this Sat.-Thursday. Crabcakes here I come.
    Tony

Tony,

Sounds like you will be right downtown - based on the fact you are going to go to a game. The stadium is a real nice one so you should enjoy that. The inner harbor is the big touristy spot and there are lots of things to do there. Walking distance from Camden Yards and the inner harbor is Little Italy. A lot of really good restaurants there. In fact, I think you can take a water taxi to Little Italy (I can't remember for sure) I know it will go to Fells Point which is the bar area. But Fells Point is a big time college hangout. For the bar scene, more adults would choose Canton Square. I am not sure if the water taxi goes there. But it is not walking distance from the harbor. The Myerhoff is a real nice concert hall and the Baltimore Symphony plays there. The light rail will take you right to it from Camden Yards. Federal Hill is above the harbor and that is a nice place to go to relax and get a nice panaramic view of the harbor. Oh - how could I forget. You need to go to Fort Mchenry. The place where the Star Spangled Banner was born. If you are into baseball, the babe ruth museum is somewhere in the camden yards area - but I have never been there. There are a few museums if you are into that. The Walters Art Gallery and the Baltimore Museum of Art are the biggies. You will need to take a cab to get there from the harbor area. OK - I realize you are there on business and not vacation, but this should help in addition to the other posts.

Oh Yeah - crabcakes are good, but that is not the biggest deal in Baltimore. You need to get steamed crabs (which by definition will be smothered in Old Bay Seasoning) Yes, they take the live crabs and steam them in a huge pot. Then you systematically break it open as well as the claws and eat all the meat (watch out for the devil though). Also, Steamed Shrimp with onions in Old Bay is the best. Philips is right at the harbor where you can get both of those things, but I am sure there are better places than that. I just don't know what the best places in that particular area are. Don't be afraid to ask how to eat steamed crabs if you have never done it before. I am sure the servers are used to that. And the typical drink that goes with crabs and shrimp - a pitcher of beer!

Have fun and let us know how you like it.

Stefan

Don't forget Fort McHenry. I've wanted to go but it was raining and with the two little guys that can be tough. That's where we held'em off!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Also right across the street from Fort McHenry is the American Visionary Art Museum--it is a good outsider art/folk art museum, not everyone's cup of tea but not to miss if you like that type of art.

And another suggestion for crabs is Obrycki's, they do a great job.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    They have the best stadium in the country aside from fenway
    Nope. Safeco Field in Seattle is the finest in the land. Now if you are talking winning teams..... .

Arnie

From a Baltimoron

Tony -

Most people have gotten it right, but here are a couple of things from a real Baltimoron.

1. Honfest: If you really want to know the heart and soul of Baltimore, go to the Honfest, where the spirit of the "Hons" lives on. You can find out more about it at: http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...,2481706.event

2. Nacho Mamas: In Canton there is a great mexican place called Naho Mammas. It is first come, first served, no reservations. They have good food and even better atmosphere. Elvis pictures are everywhere. your food is served in a hubcap, and they have $1 Natty Bohs. If you don't know what a Natty Boh is, go to Honfest.

3. Vaccaro's: In Little Italy, Vaccaro's is the place to go for desert and coffee. The cannoli and Italian ice are superb.

4. Tibruzi's: While most people go to Little Italy for their Italian (Sabatino's is the best in my opinion), I prefer to go to Tibruzi's in Canton. It is smaller, and most nights you can talk with the owner.

5. Snowballs: Ask someone for the nearest snowball stand. A snowball is Baltimore's version of the sno-cone. The most popular flavor is Egg Custard, but I am partial to Spearmint with Marshmallow. Trust me, they're good.

6. The O's: While Wrigley might be in contention, Camden Yards is the best stadium. The atmosphere is great, the stadium is beautiful, and you can even bring your own food and drink into the park. You can't bring any alcohol or glass, but everything else is fare game.

Baltimore is a blue collar town with Southern Charm. You'll have a blast Hon!
    Jonathan P. Szczepanski
    ========================================

I really like the Muesum Of Industry which is just a couple miles south of The Harbour and on the way to Ft. McHenry. Lots of cool stuff... Belt driven machine shop, tour of an old seafood cannery, couple of good sized machines, display of how cloth is cut and sewn for clothes, stuff like that.

Also a must see is the B&O railroad museum with tons and tons of old steam locomotives and the famous Round House.

A tour in the civil war era USS Constellation (sp?) is another must see. It's the big sailing ship right in the harbour.

Have fun!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

5. Snowballs: Ask someone for the nearest snowball stand. A snowball is Baltimore's version of the sno-cone. The most popular flavor is Egg Custard, but I am partial to Spearmint with Marshmallow. Trust me, they're good.
    Now, I have lived in the Baltimore area most of my life, and I didn't know that snowballs were a Baltimore thing. What's the difference between snawballs and what everyone else has?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Now, I have lived in the Baltimore area most of my life, and I didn't know that snowballs were a Baltimore thing. What's the difference between snawballs and what everyone else has?

Stefan
    Old Bay?????

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I like old bay like anyone - but on a snowball? I think I would throw up.

Stefan