Thread: Craftsman 12" Band Saw Insert

Craftsman 12" Band Saw Insert

Hey guys, I bought a Sears Craftsman 12" Band Saw/Sander Model 113.243310 a while back for $75 bucks at a garage sale and I need a new insert for it. I can get a factory replacement from Sears but with shipping it would be close to $50!!! Anybody have some suggestions where to find one reasonably priced?

You are talking about the one that goes around the blade right?

Could you just make one out of hardboard?

Yes I suppose anything is possible. There is a flange that the insert sits on which I feel would be difficult to replicate very similar to the picture below. Any suggestion how to do this?

Well you could cut the circle out of some 4/4 stock on the band saw, then on the router table with a rabbeting bit and bearing cut the rabbet. Now just slice it off on the band saw.
    Know anyone with a wood lathe, that would work.

What is the diameter of the hole? Here is a possibility. Add the www to this link and you can check an aluminum washer chart on the Fastenal website. All the way to 2-1/2" OD. Maybe you can make something work. Bill's ideas seem quite workable as well.

fastenal.com/web/products/details/76359;jsessionid=jPnZSKHN42nCQGZZ2jQJJgvhvbT8Khncy pyTmGbpq2Qk02r0yPGD!1781100366!-945420244?isPunchout=false

How does $4 sound to you?
    It likely takes a 1/8" thick plate, can be made from aluminium, plexi, wood- just about anything.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

14" Rikon bandsaw is similar though perhaps thicker? I just used a technique similar to making my own table saw inserts. I cut out plywood disks slightly larger than the inset - in my case 5.5 mm. plywood seemed about the same thickness as the insert. Stick the factory insert to the plywood disk with doubled sided tape. My router rabbeting bit set has one bearing that is the same diameter as the cutter so functions as a flush trim bit. I find the larger diameter produces a smoother result than the more common 1/2" flush trim bit. Set the flush trim bit bearing to ride on the factory insert and route the plywood disk so it's flush with the factory insert. Cut a slot for the blade and you're set.

Blog Entries
    +1 on hardboard. Drilled for dust collection or not, your choice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler