Thread: Workshop ceiling height

Workshop ceiling height

My workshop is currently in the garage, but we are going to finish the basement and move it down there (and finally be able to park cars).

Do you think that a 7' ceiling is too low for a workshop? It feels like it would be, but I'm curious if anyone has direct experience. Obviously, I could make it work, but you want to have an enjoyable experience in your shop...

Sometimes you have to use what is available but if given a choice; I want room to maneuver a 4 X 8 sheet. 10' ceiling height is about right, lower can work but is not as good.

3. I have a 8' ceiling and think you can get by with 7', may gat a little awkward once in awhile but you do what you have to do.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was also thinking about plywood sheets, Dennis.

I have a 9' ceiling area available right next to this (it's a split level house)...so I have options. But that would obviously cut down on what we could do in the higher ceiling area (smaller family room).

My workshop is in the basement and the bottom of the floor joists are just over 7'. When dealing with 8' long boards, it is a pain because you can't flip them end for end. Generally I have to take the board outside to turn it around. Also you won't have the ability to stand 8' long boards or sheet goods on end. When laying on their side, 8' long boards and 4x8 plywood takes up a tremendous amount of valuable space. If I had my choice, the ceilings would be at least 9' if not 10'. Nine feet is the required distance to pirouette a sheet on plywood on its end (4x8 plywood is 9' across the corners).

But since my options are workshop in the basement with low ceilings or no workshop at all. I'll take the 7' ceilings all day long.

I've a 10' ceiling in 1 shop and just yesterday was moving a 9' board and hit a rafter.
    I grew up in my grandfathers workshop with about 7.5' ceilings, we managed.
    I spent 34 years in a house with a 15'x15' "workshop" in the basement.
    I now have 5,500 sq foot of workshops with ceilings up to 14'
    outside-shops.jpg

Just make sure you've got plenty of horizontal room. As Anthony wrote - it's better to have a workshop with a 7' ceiling than no workshop at all.
    Last edited by george newbury; 02-06-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

If you can store large sheet goods in the garage, break them down to rough size there before bringing them into the basement to work on your project. Not sure how you are going to finish the basement off, or if pulling a permit to do the work, but if your town considers what you are doing to be habitable space you will need a minimum of 7' from finished floor to finished ceiling.

Enjoy your new shop!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust