Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Savage on bench planes

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I'll have to dig out my clifton iron, but I was pretty sure it was laminated when I was sharpening it. I could be wrong. so much sharpening lately everything has blended together.
    Clifton irons are made from one piece of tool steel(O1). They are not laminated or forge welded. They are "hand forged" according to Clifton. They use the term loosely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Edwards View Post
    I agree with the original recommendation concerning the quality of Clifton. I own Clifton, LN, and LV planes and my favorite bevel down plane is the Clifton. The handles feel and look much better than the cheap cherry LN uses however, the LV tote and handle are the most comfortable to me. The green paint looks very nice and i like the round sides of the Clifton. The blade adjuster has a little more play than LN and LV but it still works well. The blade, cap iron, and weight are my favorite things about the plane. It is heavy! I never worry about setting the chip breaker and the blade gets extremely sharp. Planes highly figured curly maple, sapelle, and bubinga just fine w/ the chip breaker about a 1/16 away from the blade!!!

The Clifton blade gets sharper than my LN and LV using a 8000 norton water stone but doesn't last as long. For durability purposes I have the best results with LN A2. It performs better than my LV O1, A2, and PM steel. I have terrible problems with LV blade edges chipping. Tried numerous angles and grinding the blade back with no results. The fit and finish of LV blades is the best though. If I could only prevent them from chipping I would be very happy!

I have never understood why Clifton's have a mediocre reputation but I'm glad the man who assembles his furniture with nails gave a poor review of them. I can get them cheaper than LV and LN!
    I have also had issues with LV PM V11 chisels chipping. Not happy with their performance, despite all the hype. Do others with them sharpen this steel differently from, say A2?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    I have also had issues with LV PM V11 chisels chipping. Not happy with their performance, despite all the hype. Do others with them sharpen this steel differently from, say A2?
    Hi Clay

I'm curious (having completed tests and found a huge difference between PM-V11 and A2 when chopping) - with plane blades there is a small range of uses, so the stress on the steel's edge is quite predictable. With chisels, however, there are many possible variables: pushing, chopping, how heavy the chip is, the hardness of the wood as factor of the impact ... So, tell us how you use these chisels and their bevel angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Clifton irons are made from one piece of tool steel(O1). They are not laminated or forge welded. They are "hand forged" according to Clifton. They use the term loosely.
    Yeah, pretty much seems that anything that's forged with a hammer and without a die like a drop forging is made is called hand forged. Reminds me of the stuff in the japan woodworker catalog where one of the captions says "master ___'s wife helps with the heavy hammer". well, perhaps someone does swing a hammer, but I'll bet the bulk of the work is done by a power hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, pretty much seems that anything that's forged with a hammer and without a die like a drop forging is made is called hand forged. Reminds me of the stuff in the japan woodworker catalog where one of the captions says "master ___'s wife helps with the heavy hammer". well, perhaps someone does swing a hammer, but I'll bet the bulk of the work is done by a power hammer.
    No doubt about it!

I don't have any PM V11 chisels so I cannot comment on them. I do have two PM V11 plane blades and have had mixed results. The 2 1/4 in my LVBUS/J works very well. The one in my Apron plane does not. I have honed it at angles from 25-35 degrees and the edge chips. The wood that I was using the plane on was cherry, alder, and maple. Ironically, the original A2 blade did the same thing. Hopefully after some use the chipping will stop.