Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Tool You Ever Owned

My favorite is the T26 shaper because it is a joy to set up and the most versatile tool I own.
    Second favorite is the T 90 because it paid for all the other tools.
    Joe

T26 .jpgFrench pair.jpgT90 with frame.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beatty View Post
    That thing looks like it has eaten more than a few fingers in the past and is still hungry.
    Nah, doesn't have enough power to bite you too badly, unlike the bigger Northfields, this one is just a ~2hp 110v single phase motor. If you bind it up it'll trip the breaker before overpowering you.

Here's the original sales brochure cover, it was advertised as "lightweight and portable!" (only 200 pounds).

mitersaw.JPG

And better pics of mine.

Phone 008.jpg

Phone 005.jpg
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 01-02-2014 at 7:38 PM.

PQ sez: Mac Powerbook Pro. It's the first tool I use on every project, its how I work, its how I'm viewing this presently. Sketchup comes in a close second.

Oh- you beat me to it. I do use SketchUp but my favorite tool by far is my copy of PowerCADD.

It's a 2D CAD program unbelievably intuitive and easy to use, and insanely capable. I can sit down and work out every detail of my project on my iMac very quickly and then head off to the shop with a detailed plan with dimensions. Potential problems show up on the computer, not in the shop.

Blog Entries
    I guess my favorite tool would be my Unisaw. Bought it new around 2003. 3 HP w a 52" Biesmeyer Fence. Right Tilt.

There's nothing special about it but I just really like it.

PHM

Long hard thought. Defining best tool to me is one that is very reliable and maintenance/adjustment minimal. With that in mind it comes down to my Milwaukee 12 inch sliding miter saw. This was one of the few or only too that was perfectly set right out of the box. Still after 4 years of use it is still cutting perfectly. I don't think Milwaukee still makes this saw.

Bill R

Interesting question, mine is a Starrett 4" double square - I didn't know I needed it until I took a woodworking class and used the instructors all week. American made and spot on!

DSC04311.jpgDSC04310.jpg

One is restored ( not like Jack's ) and one is not but both are as good as bandsaws can get. Jeff's Martin is top of the chain. I've worked on T130s and as good as they are, the Martin is from a different planet. Saw a Bauerle shaper that I should have pulled the trigger on. Dave

My favorite is a 1976 Craftsman radial arm saw. Built back in the era of decent quality stuff carrying the Craftsman name. It is a sentimental attachment for me -- it was the first major power woodworking tool I bought. Lots of projects completed with it during its 35+ years of use. It still is my "go to" saw for crosscuts and "crosscut dadoes" (shelf recesses on the long sides of a cabinet or bookcase).

I have a table saw, a compound miter saw, and a Festool track saw as well, but the RAS still gets the most use. It can be easily aligned when needed, but holds alignment pretty well if not moved around. It would love to have an old classic from DeWalt, or one from one of the other RAS manufacturers from the past. But I'd never sell the Craftsman. It might just get relocated from the shop to the garage for outdoor projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    My favorite is the T26 shaper because it is a joy to set up and the most versatile tool I own.
    Second favorite is the T 90 because it paid for all the other tools.
    Joe

T26 .jpgFrench pair.jpgT90 with frame.jpg
    OK, you know what they say, if you have to ask...

My cordless drill, I can't imagine going back to build things with nails and straight slot screws. Only this week I threw out every nail that did not fit my nail guns.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Dave's favorite tool is a band saw. I must have caught his illness.

My Laguna table saw

IMG_5459.jpg

Greenlee 227 autofeed mortiser (1928):
    2482-A.JPG

Or Oliver 399 18" planer (1950):
    4693-B.jpg

Kirk

For me it is my Grandfathers Stanley #5 that I have tuned up and working perfectly....

Most used tool in my shop is my 16gal SST shop vac by Rigid. I'm overly anal about cleaning the shop and tool tops. It also helps that I'm in a basement shop. The wife would ban me to an unheated out building if the basement was a mess from my piddling with wood,
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day