Thread: Is is acceptable to store wood outdoors?

Question Is is acceptable to store wood outdoors?

My shop is getting a little crowded and could be arranged much better if I could do something with all my cut offs. I hate to throw good wood away and usually can find just the right piece of scrap when I need one the most.

I was looking around today and figured if I could get the excess wood out of there I could really make my shop kick. I have one of those inexpensive $600 metal carports that has a slight peak roof and was thinking of building a 2-3 foot loft under the peak section that I could slide my cut offs in above the truck. It would still give me enough clearance to park and it seems sturdy enough to hold the weight.

My question is: Would this be bad for the wood from general outdoor moisture and humidity? It would be protected from rain under the roof, but I was wondering about humidity and moisture. Most of my wood is construction pine and some hardwood and a little 3/4 oak ply.

Do any of you store yours in a manner where it is exposed to the outdoors? Does the wood hold up under these conditions for extended periods of time?

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and getting some quaility shop time in. Raining here in Atlanta from the hurricane in the gulf so my shop is a good place to be today finishing my router center and assembling my bandsaw.

Unless your shop is "conditioned space" all the time, there will be little difference in the environment between the shop where the wood is now and in racks under your car port. As long as you keep it out of direct rain, etc., and have nice air flow it shouldn't be a problem. And consider that most lumber sources store it this way already! It will still be a good idea to have some small amount of rack space in the shop to bring in material for the project du jour so it can all acclimate to your shop before you start chopping it up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sure, I do. I have a lean-to style covered area along the entire length of the back of my shop with a passage door between the two. Part of that covered area was designed for and is dedicated to lumber storage. I store mostly softwoods, construction grade lumber, home-milled lumber and turning stock that requires lengthy time to dry out, and common hardwoods that I don't plan to use soon. I don't store hardwood ply out there as it tends to pick up mold in my local environment. I also have a smaller rack inside for the more valued pieces where the fluctuations of temp and humidity are not as severe. Prior to building the present shop, I used a setup exactly like yours as an adjunct to a tiny basement room-shop and even had the table saw out there.

Prior to beginning a "fine" furniture project, I will bring in what I anticipate needing into a heated space within the shop to allow acclimation.

Having a utility bench or even a Workmate in such a covered space is also nice if you can make the room. Exceptionally messy or nasty projects (such as paint stripping, spraying paint, chainsaw milling, heavy belt sanding, etc.) can be performed outside/covered while sparing the interior your shop.

Thanks guys.... I just wasn't sure if it was a good practice or not. I'll be taking your advice and move in that direction. Think it is really going to open some needed space in the shop.

I'd be leary about the ply but hardwoods will be fine. As Jim noted, most yards store it that way. Heck, trees grow outside...

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Bob, you didn't mention where your shop is. There can be significant humidity differences between outdoors and air-conditioned indoors in the Atlanta area, which can result in significant shrinkage of the wood when you bring it indoors. It won't hurt the wood to be stored outdoors under roof, but I'd recommend conditioning it indoors for a while before using it if your shop is in heated/cooled space. That is, if shrinkage will make a difference in the intended use of the wood.
    I live in the Atlanta area also, and my shop and wood storage are both in my basement, which doesn't have hvac, but which is nonetheless closer to indoor than outdoor conditions.

Jules,

Nope, I do not have the luxury of AC in my shop. Just a fan, 3 good screened windows and a screen door. Isn't living in Atlanta a humid blast. I don't think anyone can appreciate what we are talking about unless thay have lived here theirself.

Then the general concensus is that storing ply outdoors may not be a great idea?

bob: i run a dehumidifier in my shop 24 hrs. stright and have kept a check on my wood with a moister meter.
    at this time of the year i get about 41/2 gallons of water in 24hrs.

What a great idea! I am going to have to have one of these carports at our new place...I know what the peak area will be for! We're going for the 7' leg 20x21 model. Thanks for the idea...sheer genius!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    What a great idea! I am going to have to have one of these carports at our new place...I know what the peak area will be for! We're going for the 7' leg 20x21 model. Thanks for the idea...sheer genius!!
    Sounds about the size of mine and is great for double parking. No need in wasting the overhead area. When I become desperate is when my creative juices flow most.