Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: sawstop vs. other saws

Wonder if this guy thinks that's a lot of trouble?

2014-01-02-21-53-11--2092631991.jpeg

Really, aren't all these concerns, non issues? If you think the extra insurance against this

ForumRunner_20140102_220305.jpg
    is worth the extra scratch, go for it. If not, save the extra cheese for some other cool toys. The fact is that a riving knife, a utilized guard, knowledge, and good habits will go a long way towards safety. The brake on the SS is just one link in the chain.

There are many other tools in the shop, from bandsaw to jointer and even drill press that will do that to your hand. None of them have Sawstop technology (yet). The principle danger from tablesaw is kickback, and riving knife, guard, etc. prevents some of that. I had a kickback on a tablesaw a long time ago, from being stupid and crosscutting on the fence (because my shop teacher back then did that so I assumed it was ok). The guard caught it and I was only scared. Sawstop won't prevent a kickback, and in some cases it can't stop injuries if you touched the blade while moving too quickly. It's great for companies looking to reduce liability but I just think it's really overpriced...

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    The Sawstop DOES have both a riving knife and guard in addition to the brake system. There are also a large number of stories of long-time safety-conscious professionals who in a moment of distraction, have sliced off fingers. It can happen to anyone.

Sawstop used to publish the pictures of their saves, but don't anymore. Not a single one ever needed anything more than a bandaid and an aspirin. There are also statistics in the USA that indicate more than 10,000 tablesaw accidents per year. Yes...10,000! The Tablesaw is THE single most dangerous machine in the shop...the statistics bear that out.

I realize that this is going to make the detractors unhappy, but I'll say it anyway.... The Sawstop technology is the most effective technical solution for preventing traumatic amputations on the tablesaw. If they made their technology available to other manufacturers without licensing costs, you can almost guarantee that Delta, Felder, MM, Laguna, Grizzly, Bosch, and most others would be incorporating it, but you can't blame Sawstop for protecting their patent and requiring royalties from any company wanting to use it.

Finally Tai, what is overpriced about the SS? The price isn't just about the brake. It's the overall design, fit and finish, technology, quality, superb dust collection, and exceptional customer service that all figure into the price...and in my opinion, much better than most other TS's, at a very, very reasonable cost.

Call me a Sawstop fanboy if you like, but I'd wear that like a badge of honor. There ain't many cases of buyer remorse from Sawstop owners, if any at all.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Not sure about Taiwan, I find customer services tend to suck in Taiwan so I don't know if I'd pay extra for some manufacturer with a better customer service. I doubt Sawstop will do customer services for their Taiwan products, but instead it falls on the authorized dealer/distributor and they tend to suck big time. I'd like to see a review of Sawstop's overall quality vs. similar saws at 1/3 of the price. I have even seen someone sell Laguna products in Taiwan (just the vortex dust collection bucket) but I seriously doubt Laguna will provide any support for it, but instead will tell me to talk to their dealer. Thing about customer services here is unlike US customer services, they tend to be anal, be slow to respond to warranty claims, and absolutely will not accept returns unless there's a really good reason (most American companies would accept returns for stuff like buyer's remorse). Only very few companies in Taiwan have the same level of customer service as most American companies, and they're the exception rather than the rule. Like when I had problems with my bandsaw and told the dealer about it, they totally forgot about me.

So when I buy tools in Taiwan, I consider the sale to be on a as-is basis because very few would even bother to address warranty claims or provide any post-sale support. So I actually need to be really good at solving problems and have machine shops on speed dial in case I need replacement parts. I don't mean commonly used tools but stuff like bandsaws, tablesaws, etc.

You know any real tablesaw is a step up from this accident waiting to happen:

1253253989-ac-5789xf9x0600x0450-m.jpg1253253989-ac-8748xf9x0600x0574-m.jpg

It's a commercially sold "table saw" fixture made out of cheap plywood. You bolt a hand held circular saw (they even have purpose-made saws made for this application, heavier than most hand held "skilsaw") or router upside down, and use it as a tablesaw. Riving knife, guard, anti-kickback prawl? Forget about it! These contraptions are so common in Taiwan that it's all tool stores and hardware stores sell. When I say "Do you have a tablesaw?" They point to that. There is absolutely no way I will use this contraption because there's nothing to stop kick backs, plus I hate universal motors. Therefore any real cabinet or even jobsite saw is safer than this thing.

By the way if Sawstop is different in that they'll address warranty claims and even replace a bad machine for whatever reason (shipping damage, etc. like Grizzly would), without telling me to go talk to the distributor, them I'm sold on it.

I actually think that knockdown tablesaw is pretty cool. Granted it is limited and probably would need some user made additiions, but paired with a TS 75, I could see it as a nice jobsite or small shop alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I actually think that knockdown tablesaw is pretty cool. Granted it is limited and probably would need some user made additiions, but paired with a TS 75, I could see it as a nice jobsite or small shop alternative.
    There are thousands of these in Australia. They were more popular before TS's became available at affordable prices. They knock down completely to a box full of parts for transport or storage.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGG1jbbqUA
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

[QUOTE= If they made their technology available to other manufacturers without licensing costs, you can almost guarantee that Delta, Felder, MM, Laguna, Grizzly, Bosch, and most others would be incorporating it, but you can't blame Sawstop for protecting their patent and requiring royalties from any company wanting to use it.
    [/QUOTE]

I would love to take that bet though we will never have to worry about that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    There are thousands of these in Australia. They were more popular before TS's became available at affordable prices. They knock down completely to a box full of parts for transport or storage.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGG1jbbqUA
    Great video. I like the miter gauge/featherboard device.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

That's different, it has a guard and riving knife which makes it safer. The product I mentioned has neither of these. Also I see the person in the video crosscutting with a fence which is very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    That's different, it has a guard and riving knife which makes it safer. The product I mentioned has neither of these. Also I see the person in the video crosscutting with a fence which is very dangerous.
    Yes Tai, I cringed when he did that. The saws fence looks like it can skewed away from the blade. If the sawyer did that it would be safer.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Yes Tai, I cringed when he did that. The saws fence looks like it can skewed away from the blade. If the sawyer did that it would be safer.
    It can be to a quite a large degree and used as a angled fence which is handy. If I was doing a lot of site work I think I would have one.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I really don't think that the Saw Stop is that expensive. I don't own one but I have looked them over at the store and they look as well made as any of the other Asian saws. I'm not sure how it compares in quality to the US made Unisaw because I have not seen a Unisaw in person in either in a Woodcraft or Rockler store for some reason. I wish that my PM66 could be retrofitted with the Saw Stop safety technology or even a riving knife. As far as other machines being dangerous, I would put the shaper right up there as a tool that can mangle you up pretty bad if you are not careful. It would be hard to make it much safer and still be able to use it. Lastly, as far as that Triton table saw video goes, I didn't like the crosscutting with the miter gauge and the fence at the same time. That looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.