Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowls

Bowls

Well it has been a while since I have posted. I have been fighting some eye issues and it has been frustrating. Anyway finally have a appointment to do a eval on getting surgery done in Feb for cataracts. Makes it tough when everything is like looking thru a cloud. Anyway enough about that. I did get some turning in and not orders for Christmas. Finished turning 2 sets of cored bowls. They are almost the same size. 11 1/2" Dia X 4 1/2" High for the big one, 8 1/2" D X 3" H next smaller, and the smallest is 5 3/4" D X 1 3/4" H. All are finished with antique oil. One set is cherry and the other set is maple. Had to have the wife come out and look to see if I got all the sanding and tool marks out of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

2. Good to hear from you again Bernie! I had wondered if the Buffalo Bill center had kept you so busy making things that you did not have time to post.

I just had to get my lenses changed last week. It has taken me a week to adjust to the big change in my right eye.....the doc said that "C" word as well....not what I wanted to hear!

Nice bowl sets........I like the looks of the cherry ........cherry is a quite handsome wood.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hope all goes well with the evaluation and possible surgery Bernie. And it's good to see you're still out in the shop. Great looking bowls...especially that cherry!
    BTW...keep us posted, OK?

Bernie, I can't imagine the frustration of not being able to see. I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later but we'll hope for later. Meanwhile, it looks like you've been playing with your coring rig. Stay well and good luck with the cataracts.
    faust

nice stuff

i have had cataract surgery on both eyes, its great

Bernie, from what I hear from friends that have had the surgery, the results are remarkable! You will probably see better than you have in years.

Nice work on the bowls!

Bernie, My father just had both of his cataracts removed it's really a no big deal operation now. He was sorry he waited so long. His vision is 20/20 and he only wears reading glasses now, apparently not only can he see better, but colors are MUCH more vivid. Good luck, they can do amazing things now! I love the bowls fine work as always my friend.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Great looking bowls Bernie ! Ice cream or popcorn ?????
    John 3:16

Bernie, it's nice to hear from you. Like the others said, the surgery is pretty routine now and everyone I know has said they wish they hadn't waited so long.

You may have to decide if you want them to just remove the cataracts or correct your vision while they're at it. For those of us who are near-sighted, that can mean no longer having to wear glasses, except for reading, even if we didn't need readers before. We may also lose that "micro-vision" some other turners have talked about, where you have to take off your glasses and get your eyeball about an inch away from the object, but then you can see everything really well. I have heard from some people who love to read that their surgeons just assumed they would like to do away with their distance glasses and wouldn't mind wearing readers, so take advantage of the informed consent discussion to clarify this issue if this is important to you and put your choice, if you get one, in writing.

Bowls look good.

See? That's what I'm talkin' about. Bowls. For some reason, I am having a hard time making a "simple" bowl. Somehow it always turns into some fancy pants foray. I really like these bowls. They are simple and unpretentious but well crafted with good form. And useful! They don't get any better than that.
    New Year's Resolutions… What? Again?
    David DeCristoforo

Nice looking bowls Bernie. Good luck with your eyes, I pray that everything turns out well for you.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Good to see you posting again, Bernie. I am sure you will be a happy camper after the surgery.
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks to all. I appreciate it.

Yes this year has been frustrating. I knew something was wrong but you know how it is. I was busy and just kept putting it off. So when I had my eyes checked in September I could only read the top two lines on the chart and I still missed a couple. I was a little apprehensive when he told me what was wrong. I have talked with several people and they said you will be amazed at the clarity and how clear you will see. I can see now (pun intended) that this has been coming on for a while. I went on a clock service call the other day. The little old lady probably 83 or so told me, "when I had mine done I was mad as hell." I asked her why and she said, "cause the paperwork took over a hour and the surgery took 5 1/2 minutes." I just laughed. I guess now they don't even cut anymore and it takes 4 to 6 minutes to do. Anyway eval is 2/10 and then they will schedule surgery. Will be nice to see again clearly.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,

I had both eyes done a week apart about 7 years back. After wearing glasses for almost 60 years, it was amazing to have 20/20 distance vision and wear counter readers for reading. I did have a pair of safety glasses made trifocal, clear top, 1.5 mid, and 2.0 reading to allow working at mid range. I did find some small rimless 2.0 readers that remind me of the old Franklin readers and can be worn and see over for normal activities. safetyglassesusa.com or similar has different bifocal safety glasses that have a larger reader for working, and not the small area that a lot of bifocals have that only give a small reading area.

Glad you are getting them taken care of. Like the other folks said: goes pretty easy any more, know lots of folks that have had them taken care of. Doc says mine have started so will just wait. Like the bowls to, sold some like that in November.
    Happy New Year.