Thread: Ash Platter, Burned, Limed & Patinated

Ash Platter, Burned, Limed & Patinated

This is an ash platter, 12" in diameter, burned with a propane torch, scraped to give texture, white liming wax applied to the rim and back, and black patinating wax applied to the center. Finished with WOP and Renaissance wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Wow, very nice!

What's your process for applying liming and patinating waxes? Do you put down a base coat of shellac or other sealer?

3. Very nice effect with the burning and liming wax............beautiful piece!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is beautiful Bill. Really cool effect.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

great piece Bill, not only of form but finishing

We have so much dead ash here in the Chicago area. Every golf course and wood dump abounds with it. I also try to enhance the wood and grain as much as possible. I really like your use of the wide rim and the burn and brush technique. Great job of bringing it all together. Thanks for sharing your ideas and turning.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Spot on Bill ! +1 on Bob's comment ! Though we don't have much Ash around these parts I got a whole forest full of Fir that might give the same effect , that'd be one for Roger Chandler to try
    John 3:16

Just love this bowl. Ash to me is not worth the effort unless one plans to add some color or extra texture!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Did it crack from the heat from the torch or was it cracked before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pridmore View Post
    Wow, very nice!

What's your process for applying liming and patinating waxes? Do you put down a base coat of shellac or other sealer?
    Although the directions say a rag should be used to apply liming wax I have found it better to use a toothbrush. (it's best not to use your own) Did not use a sealer on this one and used Danish oil to remove the liming wax. BTW - no need to buy expensive liming or patinatng wax as I did; I've read on this site that shoe polish works just a well.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Did it crack from the heat from the torch or was it cracked before?
    Good eye! It cracked but very lightly from the torch and the patinating wax highlighted it I considered trying to repair it or cover it up with black shoe polish but was concerned that it would stand out.

12. Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    Although the directions say a rag should be used to apply liming wax I have found it better to use a toothbrush. (it's best not to use your own) Did not use a sealer on this one and used Danish oil to remove the liming wax. BTW - no need to buy expensive liming or patinatng wax as I did; I've read on this site that shoe polish works just a well.
    Thanks for the info. I'm expecting a call any day now to come pick up some fresh-cut Ash, and had already planned trying both patinating and liming waxes. I would not have thought to use both on the same piece.

One of the problems with a lot of the ash boar beetle trees is that they have tried to survive by growing sucker branches on the trunk (causing knots) or if the bark has fallen off, they have long cracks running up the trunk. I mix all kinds of mica powders and powder dyes into paste wax. Cheap and don't have a bunch of cans or tubes to dry out. I have found silver powder mixed with wax makes a nifty liming wax that give a little extra rich look. I have done gold, copper and many dichromatics.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bill,
    That is beautiful. I'm going to have to look up the liming and patinating waxes. Nicely done.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
    Spot on Bill ! +1 on Bob's comment ! Though we don't have much Ash around these parts I got a whole forest full of Fir that might give the same effect , that'd be one for Roger Chandler to try
    Paul........do I hear a challenge issued? I would have to get some liming wax and patinating wax & such..........but I do have some ash on hand!

Be careful what you wish for!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!