Thread: Simple Add Vise!

Simple Add Vise!

Certainly not ground breaking but over the years this set up has been very handy for me.

IMG_00000663.jpgIMG_00000664.jpg

I'm never thrilled about metal working in the woodshop but it is a way of life for me and this little set up really speeds things up when there is metal to manipulate. The wooden tee section is somewhat robust (ish) and I have often furiously beaten on stuff captured in the metal vise jaws with no failure for close to 20 years. I have also TIG and gas welded assemblies in the metal vise, a burn mark in my bench top serves as a reminder to lay down some masonite when the heat is on.

I can't help but look at those blue Record vises and mourn the loss of this company.

I did the exact same thing last year. It works great for the few times I need it. Nice

Ditto for the same thing. I don't need it often, but the T-shaped base for installing in the wood vise works out very well.

Did it 3 years ago. It's in a piano makers vise, and hasn't moved since I put it there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I did the same thing with a bench grinder I use occasionally. It's out of the way most of the time but when I need it, I pull it out and clamp it in
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I've been using the same setup for years. The mistake I made when I first set it up was to mount the metal working vise too far forward and putting too much stress on the woodworking vise. Now I've changed it so the anvil on the back fall directly over the bench leg.

Another thing I like is that whatever you mount like this, metal vise, grinder, mitre box, etc, easily hooks onto the shelf under my bench to be out of the way but accessible.
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

Had one for more years than I can remember. Sure works well for me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.