Thread: 2,3 or 4 flute taps?

Question 2,3 or 4 flute taps?

Which is the best to use on wood? I would suppose that the harder the wood it would be better to use 4 flute and soft wood would use a 2 flute, but I'm guessing here. I also have some 3 flute taps but not enough to make a difference, just asking the question.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jim
    I have always used four flute for hand taping in metal and wood, and two or three for machine taping. For wood taping I have found if you lube the hole with paint thinner before cutting your threads, you end up with a better results. Hope this helps. Tom

Thanks Tom>

It's what I do, tap in wood. Almost dead, new, 2, 3 or flutes, coated, uncoated, spiral, hss, carbide, L or R handed, they'll all tap wood without adversity.

Lesser flutes work better to remove chips in wood. This being said I'd use whatever I had in a test piece, you'll likely be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    It's what I do, tap in wood. Almost dead, new, 2, 3 or flutes, coated, uncoated, spiral, hss, carbide, L or R handed, they'll all tap wood without adversity.
    Helicoils in wood is over-kill for what I need for now and beside they have to be taped in just like cutting threads for a screw, right? I'm just trying to weed out some of the taps I don't think I'll use in the future.

Buy hss, what's ever on-sale.

I'm glad you posted the helicoil pic instead of this one.